Power Trac 1845 Report

/ Power Trac 1845 Report #1  

Charlie_Iliff

Veteran Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1845, John Deere 2240, John Deere 950, John Deere 755, Jacobsen Turf Cat II
Today, I got to test a number of the attachments on the Power Trac 1845. I couldn't demonstrate any weaknesses or problems - other than, of course, lack of skill. With the 4 n 1 bucket, I dug a compost pit into the side of a hill. With the teeth, the bucket really digs, and after a while, I could shape the cuts almost the way I wanted them. I couldn't get the hang of scraping with the bucket open, but maybe next time.
The most satisfying experiment was with a dump trailer hooked to the ball in the receiver in the quick attach. I posted a report on the Bri Mar trailer I got in the thread on hydraulic dump trailers in the construction equipment area. With the PT pushing the trailer backward, I could go at a reasonable pace, and position the trailer very easily. I could then nearly empty it without using the trailer hydraulics, since I was dumping downhill. When I did raise the trailer bed, I could shake the tongue with the PT joystick, to make sure everything left the trailer.
The dump trailer will be used a lot behind a truck and behind a Kubota B7100. If it were just going to be used with the Power Trac, it wouldn't have to have a dump bed.
What I hauled today was horse manure and sawdust compost. Before moving it, I beat it nearly to powder with the hydraulic tiller.We are in a drought, so it wasn't gummy. I am learning to use the tiller, and less often shower myself with dirt or horse manure by lifting it too high with the PTO switch on.
I consider the day a real success because I loaded the brand new trailer three times with the Power Trac bucket, without once bashing the trailer side with the edge of the bucket.

/ Power Trac 1845 Report #2  
Charlie,
Thanks for the update. Question, you mentioned you built the compost into the side of a hill. Did you dig a hole that then becomes a compost pile? Is this so you can get a bucket into the pile for turning?
Paul

/ Power Trac 1845 Report
Paul:
It's really a terrace. I wanted to slow the water flow. I get to it from either side, but dump into it from the top.

/ Power Trac 1845 Report #4  
Great idea, thanks. I have a location similar to yours that I have wondered how to make into a compost pile that is easy to turn a well as remove. Dumping from the top will work very well.
Thanks for the great idea.
Paul

/ Power Trac 1845 Report #5  
Pushing a trailer is great for maneuvering, ain’t it? I never thought about dumping it with the lift arms. Something so obvious is sometimes so hard to figure out on my own /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.

/ Power Trac 1845 Report #6  
If you had a dumping trailor could you not get a hydraulic ram(cylinder) and hook it up like a dumptruck using the quick connect line?

KCook

/ Power Trac 1845 Report
It would be a piece of cake to do and would work well, I'm sure. The only reason I didn't do that is that other machines will be pulling the trailer, probably more that the PT will.

/ Power Trac 1845 Report #8  
<font color=red>Pushing a trailer is great for maneuvering, ain’t it? I never thought about dumping it with the lift arms.</font color=red>

What a concept. Position your trailer. Quick detach it. Quick attach a loader & load the trailer. Drop the loader. Grab the trailer & go dump it. Repeat.

When I was at Power Trac a couple of weeks ago, Sean showed me the first bendup of a trailer they are working on. A push trailer with a quick attach plate and a dump gate - just lift and dump. I think they see it as a landscapers tool for moving soil, mulch etc. The bed is roughly 3-1/2 ft wide and 6 ft long as I recall. The sides come up straight maybe 18 inches then flare at about a 45 degree angle out over the wheels. The flare is intended to make shovel access to the load easier. Sean says they hope to have it available around June or so.

/ Power Trac 1845 Report #9  
Cool, any other new idea's from Power Trac?

KCook

/ Power Trac 1845 Report #10  
I guess the only hard part would be balancing the trailer while loading it, unless it is a dual axle trailer?