Power stearing pump leak

/ Power stearing pump leak #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
Hi folks,

My KAMA 454 has been working great except for a power steering pump leak. I have always had to add fluid every once in a while. But now over the last two days, once an hour. At first, I could not see while it was coming from. Connections and hoses looked fine. And because it only appears to leak during a hard turn, not continious.

After a hard turn I saw a drip trail and quickly jump off to take a look. So best I can guess, it's leaking on the back side of the pump. The bolts holding it on are tight. If the back looks like the front, can't quite imagine where it leaking?

In any case it will need to be pulled. Will I need to replace the pump or is there a gasket/rebild kit?

Patrick T

/ Power stearing pump leak #2  
Doesn't make sense to me either Paddy. Can you upload a photo or two? Maybe that will trigger the old light bulb

//greg//

/ Power stearing pump leak #3  

Attachments

• 469bad6b30d51120.jpg
    469bad6b30d51120.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 146
   / Power stearing pump leak #4  
Pretty sure FeiDong uses a different pump supplier than do the Jinma/Foton engines, plus this is a front-facing pump. So if you're leaking from the rear, it's more likely the shaft seal. Maybe Chip's got the appropriate seal kit, cuz my KM454 book doesn't identify that particular seal.

But are you sure it's not just steering fluid dripping down from the intake tube? I ask, cuz the flex coupler on mine has dripped ever since the tractor was new.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Power stearing pump leak
Greg,

Photo won't show anything. Where ever it's leaking, it on the hidden side of the pump. As you said, front pump extends forward for PS and the rear facing is the hydro system. Mine has dripped from the tank from day one as well. I have even replaced the short rubber hose on the tank. I'll take it off and see a bit more

Tommy,

That good news, rebuild kits!

Greg,

I pulled the pump yesterday. As you know the KAMA 454 is a bit tight between the pump and the radiator. So battery/air cleaner and rad had to come off. Nothing visual indicating a leak. The pump attachment location looked dry at the paper gasket. So I would guess shaft seal is not the location. The pump is made up of three sections, 2 end plates and the body. It is held together by 4 large alen head bolts. I'm betting a O-ring between the body and one of the plates needs replaced.

/ Power stearing pump leak #8  
Ok, then the leak is not in fact at the rear like originally described. That said, the O-ring between the pump body and the mount casting definitely becomes a candidate.

I've never been able to determine the manufacturer/make/model of the steering pump on mine, but then again I've never had it off the tractor. Any chance there's a label on the underside or rear of yours? Without that, I'd hesitate to gamble on a Jinma/Foton type seal kit, - thinking instead that Chip would be the logical source. Remember this is a steering pump, not a general purpose pump. The major difference I believe is that the steering pump has a regulated internal bypass valve.

//greg//

Greg,

Tommy's tractors use the same pump, HLCB-D06/06. Kit arrived yesterday. Hope to get it back together today. I want to replace the fan belt too while it's easy!

Patrick T

/ Power stearing pump leak #10  
Excellent. I'd have lost money on that bet. If you have experienced difficulty in steering when the fluid gets real hot, this would also be a good time to open the pressure relief valve a little too. Because of the front facing mount, there's no way to do it after reinstalling and replacing the radiator.

//greg//