Power Reverser quick question. JD 5100e potential purchase

/ Power Reverser quick question. JD 5100e potential purchase #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I am looking at a used JD 5100e 2015 with 500hrs.

I've never driven a tractor with a power reverser, and while I like the idea, I don't know about how well the one on the tractor I am thinking about is working.

When I move it from forward to reverse or vice verse, it gives a significant 'jerk' into the new direction. I was watching a video explaination on YouTube, and the guy was on a NH, and changing directions was very smooth.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that there might be something 'wrong' with the Power Reverser on the JD. I can't imagine getting whiplash like that when I use the FEL, and while it isn't really whiplash... there is NO SMOOTH change. It is a real time 'jerk/jump' to the other direction. Nothing like this video.

I am going to ask to drive a new tractor and see how it changes, but I'm not liking how that one is moving. If they decided to 'fix it' (since its under warranty for another year) would you have any problems with the purchase? The price is good $47,500 with a 260 FEL.

LUCKY Explains the Power Reverser on a Shuttle Tractor - YouTube

/ Power Reverser quick question. JD 5100e potential purchase #2  
There should actually be a slight pause before changing direction.

/ Power Reverser quick question. JD 5100e potential purchase #3  
Were you reducing the engine speed when changing direction?

/ Power Reverser quick question. JD 5100e potential purchase #4  
Isn't it still under warranty?

/ Power Reverser quick question. JD 5100e potential purchase #5  
There should actually be a slight pause before changing direction.

Yep..but it's just a fraction of a second.

I have a power reverser in my Deere 4520...still in the habit of using the clutch for direction changes (since my previous tractor with a sync-reverser required use of the clutch.). However, I'll occasionally change direction without using the clutch...it does seem abrupt, but hasn't hurt the tractor.

/ Power Reverser quick question. JD 5100e potential purchase #6  
My Yanmar with Powershift hits RIGHT NOW when I shift. I use the foot throttle and let off it when I shift. When shifting from F to R it helps to be stopped or use the clutch.

/ Power Reverser quick question. JD 5100e potential purchase #7  
Yep..but it's just a fraction of a second.

I have a power reverser in my Deere 4520...still in the habit of using the clutch for direction changes (since my previous tractor with a sync-reverser required use of the clutch.). However, I'll occasionally change direction without using the clutch...it does seem abrupt, but hasn't hurt the tractor.

Not with the 5065M here, it's a very smooth transition in direction, it takes 3-4 seconds to reach full speed in the opposite direction even throttled up but the 5000M series is definitely not a 5000E series tractor. Most everyone here still clutches, old habits die hard ;-)

Now take the CaseIH 5140 it'll practically snap your neck.

/ Power Reverser quick question. JD 5100e potential purchase #8  
There should be adjustment in how hard in shifts. They actually sell a kit where you can make changes to the shift speed on the fly.

/ Power Reverser quick question. JD 5100e potential purchase
No, I wasn't slowing revs. I thought the idea was that you merely switched directions. If it's a slow, clutch etc, then in my opinion, the utility of the reverser is much less useful.

I'm going to drive a few tomorrow and see if there is a difference. I like the smoothness of the NH in the YouTube video, but like I said, other than the couple minutes I drove the 5100e, I have no experience with them. I've always clutched and shifted.

And yes, it's under warranty, but that doesn't help me know if it's working as designed. The folks on this site can help me more than the guy wanting to sell it to me.

/ Power Reverser quick question. JD 5100e potential purchase #10  
I have 2 old Fords, an old case dozer and a 2004 New Holland that have power reversing transmissions. They're all the same, you know when you throw it into reverse. There's no hesitation, in an instant your going in reverse. I drive in to a pile at high rpm's with the differential lock down (sometimes), throw it in netural and raise the bucket, let the rpm's go down to 1100 or so and reverse out. If clutch tractors are all you've ever owned, it will take some time getting use to. If your rpm's are to low when you drive into a pile while raising the bucket you'll stall the tractor. Once you get the hang of it, you'll never want a clutch again.