Power after switch New Holland TC 40D

/ Power after switch New Holland TC 40D #1  

Bonzi

Tractor
New Holland Tc40D
New member from Ohio, looking where I can get electrical power after the ignition switch on a New Holland TC 40D? It has an Laurin cab that is wired direct from the battery. I would to put a breaker and relay on the switch so when I shut it off the power is not on in the cab. Not sure where to pick up power after the switch.

Attachments

• 4DDB4C29-05F1-4A33-AFF1-32126707844C.jpeg
    4DDB4C29-05F1-4A33-AFF1-32126707844C.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 50
   / Power after switch New Holland TC 40D #2  
Welcome to TBN!!!

So based on your description, I’m thinking you are looking to keep the Laurin Cab wiring that comes directly from the battery (which unless it was a mess I would do), but you are going to install an in-line fuse near the battery & then add the appropriate sized relay with-in that same cable run (circuit) to the cab (breaking the circuit). Then activating that relay with a power source from an existing tractor circuit that is only live when the key is in the accessory / run position…

If I have the above correct… Then I think there are several options depending on how you want to handle this… If you don’t want to tap into the ignition switch (which is known to have issues) then I would look at one of the other circuits that is only active when the key is in the accessory / run position… I’m not currently where our TC40D is but I believe the Headlight circuit only works when the ignition is in the accessory / run position (I believe the taillight position works with the key in the OFF position). You can easily verify with a meter….

I added an additional fuse block to our TC40D for our accessories using the same concept but added a countdown timer so some of my circuits stay active for 15 mins after turning the key to off… then everything shuts down.

I can verify the fuses / circuits that are active only during the accessory / run ignition position when I get back from my work travels… But let me know if my thinking is correct for what you are trying to accomplish…

/ Power after switch New Holland TC 40D #3  
Welcome to the forum!
I'm going to move this thread over to our New Holland section.

/ Power after switch New Holland TC 40D
Yes you are spot on with what I’m wanting to accomplish. I’m not familiar with the delay you are referring, but I will check into adding it. I will work on this over the next weekend. Thanks for your suggestions and help.

/ Power after switch New Holland TC 40D #5  
OK, so if I had it correct this should be pretty straight forward. ** PLEASE FIELD CONFIRM the BELOW** as it may not be exactly the same as our TC40D

You will need:
(1) Main fuse holder & Main Fuse
- Installed in the existing cab power line - near the battery, if possible - Check there may already be one installed (or should have been).
- I actually installed mine were the factor main fuse is but that was more because I liked it there (don't have open the hood, if something goes wrong)
- Also make sure the cab main wiring is of adequate size for the power load of the cabs devices.
- Main fuse sized properly for the wire size & cab power load.
(1) Relay - sized at least as big as the main fuse, can be larger...

That's really it, besides some miscellaneous wire, connectors, heat-shrink, & zip-ties

I checked & on our TC40D the Lamp / Headlight Switch is switch "ON & OFF" with the ignition key (double check on yours). That is an easy circuit to test... flip the switch with the tractor off... lol.. but it is also a pretty easy circuit yo get to... so you could use that one to activate your new relay. Depending on the build date it should be either fuse #3 or #4 on the TC40D so you can easily check it.

Oh, the Delay Timer I mentioned was added to the Auxiliary Fuse Box circuit. I installed it so that the circuits in that Fuse Box Circuits stay energized for 20mins after the tractor is turned off. The time starts counting down when the tractor is keyed off, at the end of the timer the entire Aux Fuse Block is disconnected from power. It is totally overkill but work really well... especially for the LED work lights; in the dark, it allows us to shutdown the tractor with the LED lights on, put key in pocket, fold the seat up, hit the starter kill circuit, etc, etc, then grab the flashlight for the walk back to the house.... then turn off the LED's... Again, Totally overkill...

Hope this helps... couple pics of my new Fuse location but might not work for you based on how your Cab wire was run...

New Maxi Fuse Holder.jpg Aux Fuse Block.jpg New Switches Installed 2.jpg

OK, so if I had it correct this should be pretty straight forward. ** PLEASE FIELD CONFIRM the BELOW** as it may not be exactly the same as our TC40D

You will need:
(1) Main fuse holder & Main Fuse
- Installed in the existing cab power line - near the battery, if possible - Check there may already be one installed (or should have been).
- I actually installed mine were the factor main fuse is but that was more because I liked it there (don't have open the hood, if something goes wrong)
- Also make sure the cab main wiring is of adequate size for the power load of the cabs devices.
- Main fuse sized properly for the wire size & cab power load.
(1) Relay - sized at least as big as the main fuse, can be larger...

That's really it, besides some miscellaneous wire, connectors, heat-shrink, & zip-ties

I checked & on our TC40D the Lamp / Headlight Switch is switch "ON & OFF" with the ignition key (double check on yours). That is an easy circuit to test... flip the switch with the tractor off... lol.. but it is also a pretty easy circuit yo get to... so you could use that one to activate your new relay. Depending on the build date it should be either fuse #3 or #4 on the TC40D so you can easily check it.

Oh, the Delay Timer I mentioned was added to the Auxiliary Fuse Box circuit. I installed it so that the circuits in that Fuse Box Circuits stay energized for 20mins after the tractor is turned off. The time starts counting down when the tractor is keyed off, at the end of the timer the entire Aux Fuse Block is disconnected from power. It is totally overkill but work really well... especially for the LED work lights; in the dark, it allows us to shutdown the tractor with the LED lights on, put key in pocket, fold the seat up, hit the starter kill circuit, etc, etc, then grab the flashlight for the walk back to the house.... then turn off the LED's... Again, Totally overkill...

Hope this helps... couple pics of my new Fuse location but might not work for you based on how your Cab wire was run...

View attachment 703275 View attachment 703277 View attachment 703280

The headlights do work with the switch. That is a good source for the relay, thanks I appreciate the help

/ Power after switch New Holland TC 40D #8  
No problem.... (y)