Poulan Pro 42cc Bar Replacement

/ Poulan Pro 42cc Bar Replacement #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
Guys I think I’m gonna put a new bar and chain on my Poulan Pro PR4218. It’s 42cc and has an 18” bar. I just bought an Echo Timberwolf 22” bar so I’m thinking of putting a shorter bar on the Poulan for more of a limbing/trail saw. Should I go with a 14 or 16” bar?

/ Poulan Pro 42cc Bar Replacement #2  
I've had that same Poulan saw for about 10 years. It's an OK saw with the 18" bar, but still doesn't have enough guts to bury it in something like locust. I think a 16" bar would be much easier on it. Never considered a 14" bar though. I don't know how much of a difference in balance it would make. Probably not that much at all. I'd be curious as to your results with whatever you go with.

/ Poulan Pro 42cc Bar Replacement #3  
I find 16" to be a good balance for small saws for me- short enough to not get in the way or make even a light saw nose heavy but long enough for a decent reach for limbing or brush.

The 16" will give you a little more capacity than the 14" for unexpected large trees on the trail. If you're running 3/8 LP chain you can get some of the really good Stihl 63PS3 chain.