Post Hole Digger

/ Post Hole Digger #1  

BSims66173

Tractor
Mahindra 4110 4x4
New to all this build it your-self stuff. I am fairly mechanically inclined. but not to the point I know everything. I wonder if a person can use a bush hog gearbox to build a Posthole digger. I have an old bush hog that the frame is wore out on but the gearbox is still good. Can I use it or is the gear ratio wrong. If anyone has completed this project, I would like to see some pictures. If not, what are your idea's. Thanks.

/ Post Hole Digger #3  
Post hole auger gear boxes are gear reduction units (auger spins slower than PTO shaft). Wouldn't the gear box on a mower increase the blade rpm above PTO speed? If the inputs and outputs are reversible, than it might be possible. I believe the gear reduction on a PHD is around 3:1, that is, the auger spins about 180 rpm at a PTO speed of 540.

I know there were some discussions on this group about using an automotive differential (a.k.a. pumpkin) for a gear box.

In any event, such do-it-yourself skills are beyond me. I bought and use a Woods 1160 post-hole digger. I haven't mastered the art of metal working/welding....yet.

Good Luck,

Rick

/ Post Hole Digger #4  
Just thinking out loud here...You'd need to build the boom that connects to the top of the 3ph at one end and has the gearbox at the other end. Also the 'loop' that connects the boom to the three point hitch. You'd need to weld some kind of hinge to the gearbox so it can swing and this hinge would have to be perpendicular to the boom. You'd have to drill the gearbox output shaft to be able to attach an auger. The gearbox output shaft would have to be 2 inches in diameter to fit the auger. Or you'd have to buy/create some kind of adaptor. Then you'd have to buy an auger and a PTO shaft. You'd have to verify that the shear bolt is on the right spot on the Bush Hog gear box. If you're safety minded, you'd need some shields as well.

By comparison, a low end Leinbach post hole digger can be bought, with an auger, for about $425 brand new. I don't think this is the first project I'd tackle if I was new to build it yourself. Heck, I don't think I'd tackle this project at all no matter how much experience I had. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Post Hole Digger #5  
I agree with mikePA. i have seen pretty good digger go at a auction pretty cheap. In fact I have kicked myself for not buying one myself. Since I have bought my kubota I wish I had picked up several items. ducky