Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths”

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #1  

Beeenvenue

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti 3510SE HST
These are my opinions. There are tons of newbees getting into CUTs and hobby farms; I think it is time to review some “facts”. At the very least I look at this like PCs now - buy what works for YOU!!

“Never ending ‘add this’”. I was on a budget of $25k in 2019 and made it. Just barely. Cab? Nice to have, would have added $5k or more and weight (see below). More hp? I bought 35; mine was available in 40 (same machine otherwise) for $2k more; couldn’t stay in budget. Weight? Frame? Even more hp. See next comment

“Get as big as you can” aka “get one size bigger than what you think you need”. Not for me. I’m a hobby farmer. With 14 acres of prairie to mow and generally keep up with I chose 35hp hst. The perfect machine for me. Would I like to have more hp? Once in a blue moon when grass gets really high and I have to slow down, but so what? Doesn’t affect loader work. And a bigger frame to allow more loader capacity isn’t really a need either (besides I bought kioti with best in class lift already). An extra hour added to 12 hours of mowing 4-5x/year is negligible. Besides I LIKE riding and using my machine!!

“Non-tractor considerations”

“Truck”. I have a 2005 small block f150. I have no plans or other need to replace it. But I can only pull 6700#. Going larger frame or bigger trailer etc would mean a different truck if I EVER need to pull it

“Trailer”. For me 7k is enough. Sure 10k is nicer. And 14k as well. But also heavier and this impacts total towing weight (see truck comments above) plus more $.

“Dealer importance”. I’ve been back twice in 5 years. Didn’t and don’t care. It’s a hobby farm; I don’t need to rely on my dealer nor build a relationship. My CUT is not used for my livelihood and if I don’t have it for a couple of weeks it is simply an inconvenience not a problem. I bought the best deal and shooed dealers until I got it.

“Resale”. I didn’t and don’t care. Some do. For me I wanted a machine to last for 20 years not to trade out like a car (which I don’t do either). Besides kioti sells (or sold) for 80% of a similar kubota new. Most of them near me sell for 80% of similar kubota used. So yes they resell for less but they cost less up front and retain about the same overall percentage value.

“Weight vs affordability.” I bought the kioti ck3510. Love it. Sure I’d like to have had the dk for more weight and larger frame. But extra $ and extra weight driving me to a bigger trailer for more $ and a new truck for more $

“Don’t buy new, buy used implements”. Have you really looked lately - like in the last 6 months?They aren’t the same prices they were 5 years ago; heck not even the same price as 1 year ago. And availability isn’t good either; people recognize what they have and are hanging onto them, or selling for extra $. It may still be cheaper to buy used but that’s IF you can find it.

“Xxx hasn’t been around as long as JD or Kubota.” So what. For CUTs those names aren’t the same as they were nor the same as their real Ag machines. The one I chose - kioti - has been in the US for more than 30 years; I’ll likely have left my machine to my survivors in 30 years. And EVERY brand has recalls, detractors, supporters, and (especially since 2021) parts issues.

Last edited:
   / Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #4  
The only thing i can think is when you should go slightly bigger than you think. Is when you build a pole barn. But I agree with you. When I newbie asks about size of tractor for his hobby farm or his 6 acres. Guys are ready to spend your money on what i think is to big of a tractor. Ive always shrugged it off as most people didnt grow up on a farm and haven't been around equipment all there lives. There is only a handful of us out there and thats it.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #5  
I wanted to run a 6’ tiller… so PTO HP was a consideration. Just didn’t really like the stance and platform of the 4815, so went to the larger frame

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #6  
I don't think this is just a post covid philosophy.

Could I use a bigger tractor? Yes.
Would it do all the jobs I currently do with my little B2620? No.

So what I did is I bought the all the tractor and all the implements I need to do everything I need to do here within a budget that allowed me to pay cash. It does everything I need it to do, albeit slower than a big tractor. It mows, digs, built 1 mile of bush road, septic, etc. My operating skill makes up for lack of weight and power.

It has no emissions headaches on it, I can haul it with my F150 (got rid of my F550 because I no longer had a use for it)
I bought an RTV-X1100C to have a nice heated cab to do snow removal on the days it is too cold and windy to snow blow on the tractor. It also has no emissions headaches and can hauled with my F150.

Both sip fuel and have less maintenance costs than bigger machines.

Do I regret not buying bigger than I thought I needed? No.
Do I enjoy OWNING my stuff and not having the bank or finance company OWN me? Sure do!

I still "want" to buy a bigger tractor just because I LIKE tractors, and to get the snow removal part of it done faster, but that will only come when the timing and pricing is right to plunk down the cash without feeling like I've been ripped off with these current prices.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #8  
Personally I'm glad I bought my tractor back in 2018 before stuff got so stupid. Even then New Holland wanted $5000.00 to go from 40 up to 45. $1000 per hp for the exact same model.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #9  
All of these just reflect the limited budget. Spending just slightly more would have eliminated all of these compromises
You betcha! Limited budget.......I owe nothing, financed nothing and paid for extra implements buy not going one size up on my tractor.

What can I say.......I was a truck driver and an owner operator. My life was full of bad career choices, so I didn't end up a millionaire. LOL

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #10  
Personally I'm glad I bought my tractor back in 2018 before stuff got so stupid. Even then New Holland wanted $5000.00 to go from 40 up to 45. $1000 per hp for the exact same model.
Same here. I was originally going to buy a Massey GC SCUT. And it would have still accomplished everything I have done here. But no local dealer, so I went to my local Kubota/Deere dealer, where the first tractor he showed me was a B2920. But I knew that the B2620 had all the power I needed, is easier to service because the engine takes up less space in the frame than the 2920's engine, and the money I saved on 3 horsepower paid for the LP box blade and hydraulic angle blade that I knew I wanted with the cash I had in my bank account.

At the time if I wanted the B2920 I would have had to either give up a couple implements, or finance that amount.