Possible metal source in small quantities

/ Possible metal source in small quantities #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
Saw these guys advertising on TV. Alro is a big regional materials distributor for industry and fabricators. Last I knew, they had a truck route down here from their Indianapolis warehouse. Looks like they are branching out with walk-in outlets to retail customers. Too bad their nearest outlet is 150 miles from me but some of you might be luckier.

(Looks like Alro also has an online sales operation. I'll probably compare them with Online Metals next time. I do remember that shipping was high with Online Metals.)

/ Possible metal source in small quantities #2  
Looks like Elk Grove is closest to me,----- probably 100+ miles NE of me up I-55.

/ Possible metal source in small quantities #3  
My son buys regularly from JMS Metal in Paducah KY. Since you're in SW IN they're probably closer to you than Indy, you might want to try them.They seem to be very competitive on prices and good to deal with.

/ Possible metal source in small quantities #4  
I've been using speedy metals for over 20 years via internet for small quantities.
They used to have a section of end pieces or odd shapes on discount but I haven't looked lately.

/ Possible metal source in small quantities #5  
Saw these guys advertising on TV. Alro is a big regional materials distributor for industry and fabricators. Last I knew, they had a truck route down here from their Indianapolis warehouse. Looks like they are branching out with walk-in outlets to retail customers. Too bad their nearest outlet is 150 miles from me but some of you might be luckier.

(Looks like Alro also has an online sales operation. I'll probably compare them with Online Metals next time. I do remember that shipping was high with Online Metals.)
I was going to suggest onlinemetals, but you already know about them.

Any places in Evansville?

/ Possible metal source in small quantities #6  
I have a couple of independent welding supply places near me that stock metal.

The one with the best prices will cut any size I want. If he doesn't have it he will order it on his weekly delivery with no shipping. The last project I did was fairly simple but he cut it all to size with no cut charge. All I had to do was lay it out and start welding.

The one with second best prices has 10 ft limit. I don't call them anymore unless I need it now and the other guy doesn't have it.

/ Possible metal source in small quantities #7  
Looks like Elk Grove is closest to me,----- probably 100+ miles NE of me up I-55.
Yeh, that's where I get my aluminum for work, Alro in Elk Grove Village. Metal Supermarkets is another place. Both offer small quantities.

/ Possible metal source in small quantities #8  
I often buy from McMaster-Carr, for even quite small pieces. I've had, on rare occasion, the order arrive later on the same day I placed it!

Online Metals also. If it's big enough that it's hard to lift, or if it needs a custom cut, I go to Online Metals first. Otherwise I go to McMaster-Carr first. And a few times I've done Amazon, though they're not organized in a very efficient way for this (we're talking parts, not impulse buys).

/ Possible metal source in small quantities
Good comments here.

What seemed unique about Alro Outlets is that it looks like you can walk in and find the best size/shape visually. A lot of design is by eye- a 3x3x1/4 sq tube looks a lot sturdier in person than it does on a catalog page!

GeneV, I wasn't aware of Metals Supermarkets. There's two within an hour. Hope they allow browsing. Thanks.

/ Possible metal source in small quantities #10  
Good comments here.

What seemed unique about Alro Outlets is that it looks like you can walk in and find the best size/shape visually. A lot of design is by eye- a 3x3x1/4 sq tube looks a lot sturdier in person than it does on a catalog page!

GeneV, I wasn't aware of Metals Supermarkets. There's two within an hour. Hope they allow browsing. Thanks.
Well they're usually warehouses, I suppose they'll let you browse the isles. I never browse, just call up and tell them what I want, and then they let me know when ready for pick up or they deliver.