Possible DEF shortages

/ Possible DEF shortages #124  
Order it online, wait for the text it's ready, and when you get there some schmoe brings it out to you... How do you beat that???
Order it online, it's delivered to my door within a week. If I drive that far I want to look at what I'm buying.

/ Possible DEF shortages #125  
So there’s no shortage, correct?
Correct... Only wally world is out of the cheap stuff.
Yep, no shortage whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Theres 4 links to prove it, or you can go with what steppy says.
I know what I see and I know who I don’t believe.

/ Possible DEF shortages #126  
Um, no. That would cause the failure of the engine.
No it wouldn't, SCR systems only deal with exhaust.

It can be bypassed/removed via ECU programming.

/ Possible DEF shortages #127  
We go to Denver every couple of months to buy supplies.

So far there's been no shortage of DEF in the Denver Area. In fact, no shortages of any of the things that we see on the internet or hear on the "news" services from "experts". We just don't see it here. There occasional backups - like lumber for twice the price at HD, but it's already back to normal price. Buying monthly, we don't see any difference now from years ago. Some things are always short and overpriced. But so far we haven't seen any real shortages of lumber, building materials, tractors - new and used, toilet paper, machinery parts, oil, groceries, fuel, or DEF.

But that's just here in the middle of the country where everything comes in by truck. It may be different other places...or it may just be that stories about shortages are in style right now.

/ Possible DEF shortages #128  
I refuse to use them and have at least 3 issues
1) no employee needed
2) there are certain segments of our society that rely on these types of jobs. 3 come to mind; There are seniors that can use a little extra in their check, there are the never went to college or trade school and the disabled.
3) when they dont work, what happens?

Being a cashier may not be a living wage, but it can be part of a lifeline. I think retail corporations use “no good help” as an excuse to reduce their bottom line rather than shifting their models to accommodate. But why should they when Joe/Suzy Q Public continues to patronize them?

So you don't pump your own fuel at the filling station.

/ Possible DEF shortages #129  
No it wouldn't, SCR systems only deal with exhaust.

It can be bypassed/removed via ECU programming.

Sure it would.
If you put a foreign substance in the tank, the DEF system would detect it and fail. This would cause the engine to fail because the PCM would to put the engine into limp mode.

Yes, it can be bypassed, but that’s not what was suggested. He suggested peeing in the tank would be a substitute for DEF. It is not.

If the SCR system was removed, nothing is needed in the tank.

Last edited:
   / Possible DEF shortages #130  
The PCM/ECU going into limp mode is not an engine failure. That's a subsystem causing a fault and a subsequent derating of power. The engine has not failed.