Portable Fuel Barrels

/ Portable Fuel Barrels #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
I'm looking for some ideas on how to build a portable fuel barrel. My dad keeps a 5000 gallon tank fuel of diesel for the farm use. I've been coming down about one a month and filling up two 5 gal tanks. It's a lot of hassle and they are awkward to refill with.

I'm looking for some kind of setup that I could use that would allow me to transport more fuel and only make 1 trip a year. I need to be able to drive back with the full tank and be able to unload it some way. Had initially thought about a 55 gallon drum, either metal or plastic with a hand pump attached, either a lever or crank. The problem I forsee is how am I going to get the full barrel out of my truck and moved into my shop? There's no good way to attach a strap or anything to a barrel. I'll have a tractor with a loader, so I should be about to lift it without problems.

Any ideas?

/ Portable Fuel Barrels #2  
Turn barrel on it's side. Use 2 straps (and a spreader bar if required).
or.
Put barrel on pallet, use pallet forks on loader.

Google (images) barrel sling or drum handling equipment.

/ Portable Fuel Barrels
Thanks. Any advice on whether I should use a plastic or metal drum?

/ Portable Fuel Barrels #4  
Well I'd opt for plastic.

FYI I have stored No rust issues and certainly can hold the weight as that is what is designed for: 55 gals of liquid!
They also have all the threaded ports to take all sorts of standard NPT plumbing.
Unlike steel, plastic won't sweat so you eliminate water from condensation.

FYI my fuel has been stored in plastic for years with no issues.

/ Portable Fuel Barrels #5  
Well I'd opt for plastic.

FYI I have stored No rust issues and certainly can hold the weight as that is what is designed for: 55 gals of liquid!
They also have all the threaded ports to take all sorts of standard NPT plumbing.
Unlike steel, plastic won't sweat so you eliminate water from condensation.

FYI my fuel has been stored in plastic for years with no issues.

Interesting....I was thinking about getting a 30 gallon (or whatever size the smaller than 50 gal drum is) metal drum and putting a fuel pump on the top. I may have to rethink the metal drum and look at plastic drums.

/ Portable Fuel Barrels #6  
they DO make bbl straps to pick it up upright.. however on the side on a pallet is fine too.

/ Portable Fuel Barrels #7  
Or you get two drums, Siphon from the full drum in truck bed to empty on shed floor.

/ Portable Fuel Barrels #9  
Curious why you can't just have the same supplier deliver to a tank where you need it tied to your Father's account?

/ Portable Fuel Barrels #10  
Interesting....I was thinking about getting a 30 gallon (or whatever size the smaller than 50 gal drum is) metal drum and putting a fuel pump on the top. I may have to rethink the metal drum and look at plastic drums.

Fact is I actually use a 20 gal plastic container and adapted a crank pump which I later changed for a 12 volt auto fuel pump which is just fast enough. The 20 gal is on a wheeled hand cart that I wheel up to the tractor and switch on the power.
I like the 20 gal as I can manhandle it easily. Problem with it is the cap is not standard pipe thread and a challenge to mate to anything. I always use a 150 mesh filter that catches any water as well as any crud that always finds its ugly face in my fuel.

My 20 gal I suspect may have been used for bulk olive oil. It is rectangular shaped and has 2 handled molded into the top. Searches will show them available in a few sizes and colors.