Porta-power (and knockoffs) prices HF vs Amazon

/ Porta-power (and knockoffs) prices HF vs Amazon #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I have a need for a Porta-power type system. I need to move a heavy arm on my scraper about 1" to allow it to slip by an impediment.

I was going to just purchase the HF model, but currently, they are running $199 for the 10T model. This is fine, but I just happened to jump onto Amazon and they are going for around $115 for the "same" kit.

Has anyone purchased one of these off Amazon and any idea why HF would be higher than a lot of these others? I always expected that HF would be about the absolute cheapest out there. And on this, they aren't even close.

I'm not opposed to paying more, its just that this is about 70% more and its HF??? Even with the 20% off coupon, we are at $160.

1 ton Super Heavy Duty Portable Hydraulic Equipment Kit

Amazon.com: XtremepowerUS Hydraulic Porta Power Auto Body Frame Repair Kit, 1 Ton: Automotive

/ Porta-power (and knockoffs) prices HF vs Amazon #2  
Looks to be identical to my 8 year old HF set, doubt it'd be much different in quality - I did notice tho, that the "secretarys/minions" who write things up can't agree on what they weigh - that unit claims 20 pounds, another one claims 60-some pounds, HF claims 76.8 pounds shipping wt, mine weighs right around that (1-hand carry, but wouldn't wanna carry it to the bottom of my pasture :confused:

I didn't see the extra pump I bought for mine @ HF, it has a foot pedal (not air driven) that's invaluable if you're working alone (as I do 99% of the time) - with that, you can use BOTH hands to position the ram/adapters WITHOUT needing a "minion" of yer own to pump it up.

Despite the weight confusion I'd probly take a chance at that price if I didn't already have one... Steve

/ Porta-power (and knockoffs) prices HF vs Amazon #3  
Read the Amazon reviews, not good !!

/ Porta-power (and knockoffs) prices HF vs Amazon #4  
Are you sure you need a 10 ton?

I used porta powers all my life, doing body work, and I don't like dealing with the weight of a 10 ton unit at all.

A good 4 ton, would be my first choice.

Can you use a bottle jack, and some blocking to do the task you described?

/ Porta-power (and knockoffs) prices HF vs Amazon #5  
I have both the 4 ton and the 10 ton. I reach for the 4 ton and try it waaayyy before getting the 10 ton out. It's hard to use for me. The foot pump mentioned would sure make it easier. Now I've got to have the foot pump, it cost me almost every time I get to reading on here. :)

I'm guessing each of these would be close to the same quality. I think that's a little less for the 10 ton I paid a couple years back from HF. The 4 ton was from Northern Tools long time ago.