Port spacing dif-fug-alties

/ Port spacing dif-fug-alties #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I'm putting a dedicated 3 spool monoblock control valve for the Allied 195 loader on a Hurliman 435. Freeing up the pair of Aux ports that come on this model tractor.

I picked up a nice Lamborghini valve at a great price to do the job. The valve has all the features (float for instance;-) and is nice and compact. Perfect for an Italian tractor like the Hurlimann (S&L&H)

But.. Today I went to the local truck repair-***-hydraulics resource, to pick up some fittings to better visualize the location and fit of valve and plumbing on the tractor, and I see some troubles. The -08 ORB ports are only 1.25 inches apart C to C. That's not enough room to swing any sort of 90 degree (ORB X JIC or ORB X pipe) fitting. The loader hard lines are only about 18 inches forward of the valve location, and just a bit "lower". i.e' lower in the horizontal, I had been hoping to run female QDs on 90's, right out of the valve, hard connecting the short hoses to the loader to make loader removal easy, and keeping the hydraulic access control when the loader is removed .

Having hoses going up before they go forward was not my idea of elegant. And cobbling together one fitting to another adapter to another fitting just seems cumbersome,... plus $$$.

Will I need to put short hoses on steel bends (JIC swivel) and the QD solid on the loader frame? With six ports, the valve would start to remind a fellow of a milking pot ;-)

I guess I'm looking for examples of valve out-port arrangements that allow fitting QD's hard to the valve. Oh! 3/8ths QD's.
The In, PB and Tanks lines are 1/2, but there are no clearance issues with those.

An aside, Does it really matter if male or female ends of a QD are "the business end"? That is, is there a reason the male ends are not connected to the supply such as this valve? I admit that one usually sees a bank of female QD's ( in pairs) But does it really matter?

TIA

Cal

/ Port spacing dif-fug-alties #2  
Cal,
Fittings: Depending on thread style and your fitting shop you can purchase extra long elbows that allow one elbow to spin over the top of the other. You just would have to make sure they extend far enough to allow the QD's to clear each other.

It does not matter which end of the QD goes where. I purposely put one each on my FEL control, that eliminates the possibility of hooking them up backwards.

/ Port spacing dif-fug-alties #3  
You can also get elbows that are male ORB and female pipe threads in std length and extra long. Check Discount Hydraulic Hose numbers 6805 and 6805LL. They also have elbows that are male ORB and male JIC in std, long, and extra long. Numbers 6801, 6801L, and 6801LL.

I think the reason you see female QC on the valves rather than the hose ends is it's easier to push the locking ring back when it's on something mounted (like the valve) that will not move vs a hose.

/ Port spacing dif-fug-alties #4  
The -08 ORB ports are only 1.25 inches apart C to C. That's not enough room to swing any sort of 90 degree (ORB X JIC or ORB X pipe) fitting.

One way to tackle that problem is with a straight ORB x JIC fitting/adapter and a female JIC 90 hose fitting. I've included links to both of these below.

JIC 37 Male Flare x O-Ring Boss (ORB) Adapter

JIC 37 Female Swivel 90 Hose Fitting

The hoses will be able to go off in any direction, and the only part you need to turn for installation is the swivel nut on the end of the fitting.

To echo what oldnslo said, the QDs will work in either direction. A lot of folks like to install them in opposing directions to make for idiot-proof connections.

/ Port spacing dif-fug-alties
Cal,
Fittings: Depending on thread style and your fitting shop you can purchase extra long elbows that allow one elbow to spin over the top of the other. You just would have to make sure they extend far enough to allow the QD's to clear each other.

It does not matter which end of the QD goes where. I purposely put one each on my FEL control, that eliminates the possibility of hooking them up backwards.

Oldnslo

I thought long 90 degree ells would be the solution for a while myself. Allmost placed an order for same, but then I realized the pitch spacing north to south is the same as it is east to west.
Two rows of three, staggered 1/2 pitch. I cant's see any sequence that will allow a row of one length to stand over a shorter row.

Perhaps these offer a solution. They appear to require very little swing at the pipe thread female. 3/8th is is my size too! One step spendy however.
O-Ring Boss (ORB) x Female Pipe (NPTF) 90° Extra Long Elbow

Goose neck hose ends on stubby ORB X JIC is looking like it might be the best. I ask myself, "Do I really need QD's on the loader, I hardly ever comes off?"

Thanks for the comments!

/ Port spacing dif-fug-alties #6  
One way to tackle that problem is with a straight ORB x JIC fitting/adapter and a female JIC 90 hose fitting. I've included links to both of these below.

JIC 37 Male Flare x O-Ring Boss (ORB) Adapter

JIC 37 Female Swivel 90 Hose Fitting

The hoses will be able to go off in any direction, and the only part you need to turn for installation is the swivel nut on the end of the fitting.

To echo what oldnslo said, the QDs will work in either direction. A lot of folks like to install them in opposing directions to make for idiot-proof connections.

I think I would do it slightly different.
6400 plus 6500 & 6500BT
OR
6400 & 6400L plus 6500

Then you could use hoses with straight fittings, easier to find when replacements are needed.
I would post pictures, but DHH's pictures are copy righted.

/ Port spacing dif-fug-alties #7  
Have you considered remotely mounting the QCs?
Hoses from the valve to a Bracket containing the QCs, then hoses to your loader.

Attachments

• coupler bracket 008.JPG
    coupler bracket 008.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 107
  • coupler bracket 009.JPG
    coupler bracket 009.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 103
   / Port spacing dif-fug-alties
Your suggestions are well appreciated.

With less than 18 inches between valve location and the loader hard lines, remote mounting QDs would get quite busy.

This tractor is not large, bulk and complexity adds up so quickly.

I'm looking at those fitting combinations now!

Thanks

Cal

/ Port spacing dif-fug-alties #9  
I think I would do it slightly different.
6400 plus 6500 & 6500BT
OR
6400 & 6400L plus 6500

Then you could use hoses with straight fittings, easier to find when replacements are needed.
I would post pictures, but DHH's pictures are copy righted.

It's a personal choice, but I wouldn't do it this way. Fewer connections mean fewer potential leak points. 90 degree hose fittings aren't uncommon, and female JIC swivel 90s are actually very popular. We stock large quantities of these in common sizes, and I imagine most decent hydraulic repair shops should keep some on hand as well. Your experience may be different, though, depending on the local shops in your area.

/ Port spacing dif-fug-alties #10  
It's a personal choice, but I wouldn't do it this way. Fewer connections mean fewer potential leak points. 90 degree hose fittings aren't uncommon, and female JIC swivel 90s are actually very popular. We stock large quantities of these in common sizes, and I imagine most decent hydraulic repair shops should keep some on hand as well. Your experience may be different, though, depending on the local shops in your area.

I agree the less fittings the better, but is seemed like the OP wanted to buy off the shelf hoses with straight fittings. Not have the hose custom made.