Popping Right-Turn

/ Popping Right-Turn #1  

djradz

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I've noticed a very slight popping when I turn right on my 40D. The further the wheels are turned to the right when I start, the more noticeable it is. It is most noticeable when standing still or moving very slightly. One time the steering even stuck for a second. Has anyone encounted the same?

/ Popping Right-Turn #2  
I've never noticed anything like that on my TC35D. Is your steering pump fluid level ok? Is the wheel (and everything else) clear of the frame and obstructions? There are bolts that restrict how sharp the wheels can turn. Perhaps one of yours is letting the wheel go to far?

Peter

/ Popping Right-Turn #3  
I have never heard this noise from my 40D. Hope you get it solved. Keep us posted.

/ Popping Right-Turn #4  
Duane, does it make a difference whether you are in 4WD or not? It almost sounds like your power steering pump might be cavitating or otherwise losing power or surging. Also, the repair manual mentions power steering control valve alignment to the steering column as a possible cause of hard steering. If it continues or gets worse, I'd talk to your dealer's service manager.

/ Popping Right-Turn
4wd seems to have no effect. It's not really hard steering, in fact, except for the very beginning, the rest of the motion is fine. Fluid is good. It seems like there's either something which sticks in the cylinder or the wheels when you start to turn. Dealer noticed it when I showed him but said it had to be worse or more noticeable before NH would do anything. I think the problem is not in the valve because it gets worse the farther the wheels are positioned to the right when I start the right turn. Don't think the control valve has any idea where the wheels are at, so I'm thinking it's more likely down at the wheels and cylinder. I guess I'll try lubing up the joints and see what happens. Maybe I'll jack up the front and try it, but my guess is, without the weight, it probably won't do it.