poppin john

/ poppin john #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
i am looking for one of the JD tractors referred to as poppin johns: does anyone have any idea what years, models this covers?? did any have wide front ends?? all i have ever seen had the narrow front end.
heehaw

/ poppin john #2  
I suspect all of the 2 cyl. Johnnies up until their demise in 1960 are "Poppin' Johns". They make a "putt-putt" sound when they run. Most of the row crop versions were indeed narrow front end (single, dual wheel and Rollo-Matic [my favorite]), but there was also a 30 or 36" wide front as well as the standard adjustable WFE available as an option. The small utility, such as the "M" and "L" as well as the Standard versions were equipped with a WFE.

It would depend upon what was mostly sold in your area to determine best availability. The "A" and the "B" were very common as well as the 'H" and "M" Next was the "50 & 60". My favorites are those released in their twilight years: the "30" series. They have many modern features like power steering, 3PH with load & depth control, ergonomic seating and full dash instrumentation. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ poppin john #4  
Some people don't refer to the JD M as a Poppin John because it has a slightly different sound as well as the fact the motor is mounted verticly. But to be honest, I consider all the 2cylinder JD tractors to be poppin John's. The just putt along which is what makes them interesting.

/ poppin john #5  
That's right. I think the "M" was the first tractor built at the Dubuque factory.

/ poppin john #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I consider all the 2cylinder JD tractors to be poppin John's. )</font>

Yep, that's what my Dad called our 1940 model L, although it wasn't the model most folks think of as a poppin' Johnny.

/ poppin john #7  
Shown in the picture below, We have took in on trade a nice JD 420 Standard (poppin john) and the unique thing about this tractor is that it has factory shuttle on the transmission (I think JD called it a reverser) and also the factory fuel throttle in the right floor board that is actuated with the heel or your right foot. The fellow that traded it in painted the tractor and did a engine rebuild on it. They are nice for field work and then put them in a parade or show on the weekends. I just sold a local Doctor a 1 owner, 59 model 430W JD with power steering, live pto,dual touch-matic, 5 speed, spinout rims, new paint, new tires, and engine rebuild and he plans to finish mow the estate and show it on weekends--Ken Sweet

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *New and Used Tractors in Central Ky*

jd%20420.jpg

/ poppin john #8  
Think the unique noise is caused by the firing order on the opposed two cylinders.

Egon

/ poppin john #9  
Egon, don't want to bust your balloon, but the two-cylinders are not "opposed". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The bigger ones are side by each and horizontal facing forward, and the smaller ones (L, M, 40, 400's) are vertical facing up and in line. The vertical ones run at a higher rpm so the sound is somewhat different from the horizontals. I like them both. Had an LA for awhile (killer to crank start) and a 420 Utility with the 'reverser' transmission. Like the newer features of the Deere 4300 I have now, but like the sound of the 2 banger johnie poppers, or poppin john's (sounds like a toilet feature?).

/ poppin john #10  
Opp's broke an egg! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif