Poop! Big problems, no forward gear, rusted clutch

/ Poop! Big problems, no forward gear, rusted clutch #1  

Parfleche

Silver Member
Tractor
NH tc35a
Hello,
I have a tc35 with the shuttle transmission. The clutch rusted up. I followed the "famous" rusted clutch thread. I tried breaking it loose by getting it in low gear and braking and brake steering.

After that exercise I pulled the starter and sprayed the innards down with the "Blaster" PB product. Let it sit. Tried the break and steer technique.

Meanwhile my wife read the famous rusted clutch thread.

I still had no luck but still had faith. Monday I had to go to work. Got home no tractor to be seen! I ask my wife if she knew where the tractor was. "Yes it is at the neighbors 2 miles down the road. I can't start it."

I towed the tractor home so I could work on it without the fresh from the city neighbor looking over my shoulder. Pulled and checked the ignition switch, fine. Pulled and checked the starter, it worked when I jumped the neutral switch to it. Got it started and I was able to get it in reverse in low gear. Although it seemed to go up into the forward position on the forward/reverse lever there is no gear?

I asked my wife to please review exactly what she had done, she said she got on the hill and let the tractor roll in neutral until it was going at a good clip and the she tried to put it in forward. She had gotten it in forward to get it to the hill but after the downhill event no go no start!

I figured the reason the starter would not work is that when she tried jamming it into gear something happened with the switch that only allows the starter to work when the forward/reverse lever is in neutral. I can get it to start by messing with the lever. It won't start in reverse and in what I think is the forward position, making me surmise that the forward gear of linkage is messed up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows of a good mechanic here in Washington. I live near Arlington, about 50 miles north of Seattle. I need to cut a couple of pastures and fix 2 miles of driveway among other things.

My wife had good intentions and wanted to help, so no hard feeling there.

The clutch is still rusted, but there is no way the thing is going in forward, although I can ease it into reverse in low gear.

Best Regards,
Steve

/ Poop! Big problems, no forward gear, rusted clutch
Oops I meant to say that it;

It won't start in reverse and in what I think is the forward position, making me surmise that the forward gear or linkage is messed up.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Steve

/ Poop! Big problems, no forward gear, rusted clutch #3  
Why do you think the clutch is rusted together? Has it been setting for a long time or something? Sounds like a gear or shifter not right. And your wife coasted it down a hill and tried to jam it in gear to start it,whoo dude!