Poll: Your satisfaction with your HST transmission

/ Poll: Your satisfaction with your HST transmission #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
There are many HST vs gear vs shuttle (etc) transmission comparison/discussion/debate threads on TBN. Which is better, the pro's/cons, etc. Certainly the details / differences need to be understood by buyers, but I wonder if this might help boil it down:

If you own/owned an HST machine(s), please rate your satisfaction with the HST transmission aspect (not the rest of the machine, just the HST), using a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being "most satisifed"). Include explanation as needed.

HST = hyrdostatic transmission

/ Poll: Your satisfaction with your HST transmission
I'll start: I rate mine 9.9 / 10. In ~225 hours of tractor time I thoroughly enjoy it & think it operates easier, faster & smoother than my dad's shuttle shift tractor. I don't think I'd ever own anything else. I do mostly bush hogging, flail mowing, some grading, discing, a lot of chaining & pulling out of saplings, & minor loader work (so far), but not really any ground engagement work like tilling or plowing.

/ Poll: Your satisfaction with your HST transmission #3  
9 sounds about right for me as I don't like a perfect score and there is the whine and loss of power. This is really noticeable when I crawl up into our shuttle M8540.

/ Poll: Your satisfaction with your HST transmission #4  
I 'll rate a 9 . Not a 10 because my treadle is located on the same side as the split brake pedals . Nearly renders split braking useless for me .

/ Poll: Your satisfaction with your HST transmission #5  
I would give my HST a 9 out of 10. For loader work, its hard to beat, but for plowing, its not the best. Since I do way more loader work and bush hogging, it works great.

/ Poll: Your satisfaction with your HST transmission #6  
With more that 190 hours, mostly blowing snow this past winter, I would not have any other way.
9.9 for the HST.

NormB.

/ Poll: Your satisfaction with your HST transmission #7  
I'll also rate it a 9.9, just because nothing is perfect. :)

My work involves mowing, brushing, snow clearing, etc., with lots of hills, trees, and winding paths. I had a wonderful gear L275 DT which I replaced with a DK35 HST.

I have 42 hours on the new tractor and was surprised how much easier it is to operate for my conditions. I imagine some with gear tractors and with conditions requiring more power and less stop/starting and turns will feel differently.

/ Poll: Your satisfaction with your HST transmission #8  
8.75 :laughing: I do miss the few hp that it uses and the extra noise with the HST... but very happy (especially at the end of a long day) vs. having to shift or clutch and shift.

/ Poll: Your satisfaction with your HST transmission #9  
It is excellent for loader work, bucking snow, manuevering in the woods, precision work close to buildings and other obstacles. My smaller tractor was purchased specifically for these purposes, and so far has perfomed excellently at all of them.

Because my experience is limited to only 5 months of ownership, I can only give an 8 out of 10 so far.

I still hopped on the bigger geared tractor to cut down the first weed growth this weekend. It doesn't have all the safety switches and I can stand up and strecth out when I'm driving for a long time. I am leary of bypassing the seat switch on the HST because it doesn't have a positive parking pawl like my geared unit. I miss being able to drive standing up, and just dropping into park to hop of without having to set and release the brakes in addition to shifting into neutral.

Maybe after I figure this dilemna out I can up it to a 9 out of 10.

/ Poll: Your satisfaction with your HST transmission #10  
I rate mine a 8.5....like the power and ease of use, but not too happy w/ parking brake design.;)