Polish your blade ?

/ Polish your blade ? #11  
If the blade is warm, say, warm garage or in the sun, and it is below freezing outside, the snow will melt and eventually freeze to the blade providing a place for snow to stick.

/ Polish your blade ? #12  
Well, JD - I guess I'm just lucky then. Been plowing snow off my mile long gravel driveway for 32+ years - wet snow, dry snow, deep snow etc, etc - never ever had it stick to my rear blade. Just a plain old Land Pride RB3596 with only orange paint on it. WAIT - it must be the orange paint, ha,ha.

/ Polish your blade ? #13  
Well, JD - I guess I'm just lucky then. Been plowing snow off my mile long gravel driveway for 32+ years - wet snow, dry snow, deep snow etc, etc - never ever had it stick to my rear blade. Just a plain old Land Pride RB3596 with only orange paint on it. WAIT - it must be the orange paint, ha,ha.

Well....I am GREEN with envy......:laughing:

/ Polish your blade ?
I'm the original poster. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I probably should have explained the reason for my question concerning snow sticking to my plow blade. Snow sticking to the blade tends to make it harder to pull the blade through the snow, and as a result the sideways force on the rear mounted blade tends to push my front tires off to the side, and I lose steering control. Of course, I've tried setting the plow at different angles , but I get the best results for plowing my driveway using a fairly sharp angle. I could probably plow twice as effectively if I didn't lose steering control. It might be that some front mounted weights would help, although I already have a FEL that puts weight on the front tires ( my FEL bucket is too narrow for effective snow pushing.) I could spend some time putting a slicker finish on my blade, but I wondered if it was worth doing.

/ Polish your blade ? #15  
William - nobody is making light of your situation but there has to be a reason the snow is sticking to the blade so much. If the tractor is 4WD be sure to use that. Put weight in the bucket - that will help keep the front in place. Is the tractor kept in a heated building - if so, then after its started and warmed up bring it outside for a half hour or so and let the rear blade get cold BEFORE you use it. This will keep the snow from melting, refreezing and sticking to the blade. Even an old rusty, grungy blade should not have too much problem with snow sticking to it.

All you should have to do to make that blade work is - - sand off the major rust and put a fresh coat of paint on it. That should be more than enough to make the snow easily slide off and not stick even a little bit.

You get the best results at the sharp angle because the angle results in the least amount force required to pull the blade forward and the least amount of force pushing the blade sideways. Weight in your bucket will greatly help this situation.

Perhaps a little more speed when plowing will help. It would help keep the blade clean and scoured.

/ Polish your blade ? #16  
William - nobody is making light of your situation but there has to be a reason the snow is sticking to the blade so much. If the tractor is 4WD be sure to use that. Put weight in the bucket - that will help keep the front in place. Is the tractor kept in a heated building - if so, then after its started and warmed up bring it outside for a half hour or so and let the rear blade get cold BEFORE you use it. This will keep the snow from melting, refreezing and sticking to the blade. Even an old rusty, grungy blade should not have too much problem with snow sticking to it.

All you should have to do to make that blade work is - - sand off the major rust and put a fresh coat of paint on it. That should be more than enough to make the snow easily slide off and not stick even a little bit.

You get the best results at the sharp angle because the angle results in the least amount force required to pull the blade forward and the least amount of force pushing the blade sideways. Weight in your bucket will greatly help this situation.

Perhaps a little more speed when plowing will help. It would help keep the blade clean and scoured.

Excellent advice, especially the part about putting weight in the FEL bucket...it's evident the OP's tractor is not a 4WD so there will have to be a balance between front weight and rear traction. And the OP mentions pulling his blade through the snow. I much prefer to use my back blade to PUSH snow aside in reverse gear. I may be wrong but I feel back blading in snow works better than going forward as your tires have a clear path.

/ Polish your blade ? #18  
You forget that pressure creates heat, even at -25 degs pushing cold snow and that often that is just enough heat to cause it to stick.
In most cases jiggling the control valve will be enough to 'shake loose' the load of snow.

While jiggling the valve is not detrimental to hydraulics it is tough on bushings hence the lube every 10 hours rule.

On my front plow snow always sticks so the solution is to simply drop the blade abruptly to dislodge the stuck compressed white material.(and that blade has a nice coat of bright enamel.

LOL, next we need heated blades.

/ Polish your blade ? #19  
the sideways force on the rear mounted blade tends to push my front tires off to the side, and I lose steering control.

Your FEL plus a set of V-link chains for your front tires would solve the problem.

/ Polish your blade ? #20  
I'm the original poster. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I probably should have explained the reason for my question concerning snow sticking to my plow blade. Snow sticking to the blade tends to make it harder to pull the blade through the snow, and as a result the sideways force on the rear mounted blade tends to push my front tires off to the side, and I lose steering control. Of course, I've tried setting the plow at different angles , but I get the best results for plowing my driveway using a fairly sharp angle. I could probably plow twice as effectively if I didn't lose steering control. It might be that some front mounted weights would help, although I already have a FEL that puts weight on the front tires ( my FEL bucket is too narrow for effective snow pushing.) I could spend some time putting a slicker finish on my blade, but I wondered if it was worth doing.

Your FEL plus a set of V-link chains for your front tires would solve the problem.
Try waxed paper for a lo overhead solution. Ball up a few square ft and scrub the DRY blade.
larry