Pole shed metal gauge?

/ Pole shed metal gauge? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I'm having a 30x40 pole shed built, signed contract today. It's just for some hay and equipment storage. Later reading contract list it said 29 gauge steel, 40 year warranty.
The brochure showed available in 29 and 26 gauge.
Should I ask price difference for thicker steel, or that little bit matter? Thanks.
It will just have 2 layer 10mil vapor barrier plastic, 4" gravel crusher run.

/ Pole shed metal gauge? #2  
It’s just a shed....I wouldn’t spend extra on the siding. You would damage the 26g just as fast as the 29g. The roof, if metal, would be worth following up with the contractor. I might pay a little more there.

/ Pole shed metal gauge? #3  
We just had all the steel replaced on our 30' x 62' pole building earlier this year. Same decision had to be made by us. 29 gauge or 26 gauge?

I went with 26 gauge and were happy we did. Doesn't dent as easily from light bangs and should you have to climb up on the roof and not step completely on one of the purlons, it won't put a kink the corrugation. I just figured the new steel is going to outlast me, so I might as well get a little better quality (heavier gauge)

The first thing the contractor crew commented "Oh you went with the heavier gauge, good choice."

By the way, it also comes in commercial grade 24 and 22 gauge which is price prohibitive accept for commercial businesses. At least for me, anyway.

On a side note: I started out with a 30' x 48' pole building decades ago, years later, added a 10' lean-to on the back side. Then about 5 years ago I added a 14' building addition one end with the 10' lean-to also extended on the back side. Lesson learned.........You can never have too much building. :)

Last edited:
   / Pole shed metal gauge? #4  
29ga is the thinnest they make it I believe. It will dent easier and rust through faster. It will be more apt to rip away in a tornado. That being said, it probably won't matter unless you plan to store $100k+ collectible cars in there for the next 50 years.

I had my 30x30 shop made with 24ga. Because I live 15mi from the coast, threatened with hurricanes several times per year, and I keep my livelihood in it. It's engineered and build to 140mph windstorm code and insured like a house. I paid a lot extra for that. If I could get away doing it with 29ga and no papers, I would.

/ Pole shed metal gauge? #5  
Typical here is 26 ga on the roof (makes it walkable with no worries) and 29 ga for the walls (cheaper and lighter to handle). That's what I have and it works great. If you damage the coating, 26 ga will rust through about as fast as 29 ga.

/ Pole shed metal gauge? #6  
Both gauges are light - what's the purlin spacing? Roof pitch? How much wind/snow load to you get? Is it in a sheltered area?

If you ever plan to need to go walk on the roof you might find your footprints leaving a trail behind you.

Your installers would rather lift less weight and will tell you lighter is good enough. The 26 gauge weighs about 33% more per square than the 29.

If you have a low pitch roof I'd go heavier.

/ Pole shed metal gauge? #7  
26 gauge would be the thinnest I would use. Just had a 30x50x16 pole barn built. Morton uses .019 gauge, and you can really tell the difference, strength wise.

/ Pole shed metal gauge?
I spoke with owner who said all the other buildings they built for me since 1985 are 29 guage, on 24" centers. I've walked all over the roofs, never had problems and had 3ft snowdrifts.
I was assuming the first one was 26 gauge. I just didn't know how big a difference it would be.
Here are pictures. He can price it for me.
This 30x40 will have just one 12x12 sliding metal door, and 36x36 cupola with ridge vent. Thanks any thoughts! 20181017_113804.jpeg20181017_113811.jpeg20181017_113551.jpeg20181017_114654.jpeg

/ Pole shed metal gauge? #9  
I have a lot of steel buildings / sheds. All are 26 ga, low pitch, and 4-5’ purlin spacing. Never had any issues. Would not want any thinner.

/ Pole shed metal gauge? #10  
My shop 30'x50' with a 15'x50' roof extension, 12' clearance and is 26. That's what the builder recommended and it was a good decision. I have some 29 on a roof of a car port kind of thing...just tin across the top. Couldn't even get on it to build it. Had to put a ladder next to each sheet and attach as I went.

You can take a piece of 29 and a piece of barbed wire without the barbs....horse wire, 12 AWG twisted pair. Put the wire on the ground and the tin on top of it. Secure the far end of the wire to a deadman and stand on the sheet with a foot on either side. Pull up with a sharp jerk and you can cut it....no saw or shears needed!!!!!