Pole barn versus Floating slab

/ Pole barn versus Floating slab #1  

BuilderML

Gold Member
Tractor
CCY SX3100
After reading so many treads about people building a pole barn followed by pouring a slab after the pole barn is completed. It leaves me to ask WHY? Why not pour a floating slab and do regular stick framing? To me it just seems much easier to do stick framed walls and not trying to line up piers or holes perfectly and have post sticking up in the air having to line those up. I will be building a shed 16'x24' shortly for my father in law. Here is what i plan on doing.
Step 1- Prep site, removing organic material, Place 6"-12" of stone under slab.
Step 2- Form and pour 16'x24' slab, 10"x12" along perimeter (underneath exterior walls) and 5" slab remaining area, 2'X2' rebar grid for whole structure with 2 rows for perimeter. Lay 6 mil poly over stone prior to pour.
Step 3- Frame exterior walls 2x4 16" o.c, 7/16" osb sheathing, tyvek, smart side t-111 for exterior finish.
Step 4- 2x8 16"o.c ceiling joist spaning 16', 2x6 rafters 16"o.c, 7/16" osb roofing sheathing.
Step 5- roofing
Step 6- Kick back enjoy a beer
The whole cost for this i have at about $6000. which includes removing existing shed 18'x20' discarding into dumpster. 1- 9x7 overhead door, 2-windows, 1-6' door.
Reason for using osb is to try to cut cost.
The cost at 6k does not include labor. With what i have listed above i don't see how it can be cheaper or easier to build a pole barn. Those who have done pole barns please fill me in on how you figure it would be wiser to do a pole barn.
In my are one can go up to 24'x24' with a floating slab. (per inspector)
Thank you i look forward to seeing what others have to say about the cost and point of view of similar sized pole barns.

/ Pole barn versus Floating slab #2  
Building something that small I would not go the pole barn route either.

/ Pole barn versus Floating slab #3  
Reason A, that's a tiny building.
Reason B, in many locations, one cannot find suitable bearing soil immediately below turf. I suspect you don't have it either, and your otherwise unachored building is going to move at the whim of the seasons.
Reason C, in many locations, pole building are considered "temporary" and are not taxed (or taxes like residential structures), and are not governed by local building codes, thus saving time, money and aggravation to the power of infinity.

$0.02

/ Pole barn versus Floating slab #4  
About 10 years ago, I put up a one car garage on a slab foundation similar to what you describe, but it was smaller, 14x22 I think. I made the area under the walls thicker as you describe. The building code allowed for it for that size structure and specified the slab foundation about the same as you describe.

I sold the place shortly after, so I can't tell you much about the longevity but I have driven by it several times and it still looks square.

/ Pole barn versus Floating slab #5  
I have never done that except with small storage sheds. If there is to be an issue I would guess it would be with freeze/thaw cycles unless you go below freeze zone with footings. The other thing to be careful of is to make sure your slab has adequate drainage as you are going to have untreated lumber close to the ground. I would also use a six bag mix with fiber, and make sure you tie those bearing sections of the wall to the main floor with rebar. I am guessing there will be cracking where the floor transitions from thick to thin. A building is no better than its foundation. If it was me I would dig down to the freeze level and frame up a short wall getting the base of my wall off the ground ten inches or so. Will make a much better building. You will be able to wash the floors without soaking the mud sill, you will be able to pour the interior floor at a angle to aid washing the floor. The closer to the ground your framework is the better termites like it. The more I think about what your doing the less I like it actually. Take the extra step and be happy the rest of your life.

/ Pole barn versus Floating slab #6  
I just remembered that after I poured the slab, I put a row of blocks around the perimeter to keep the wood structure higher off the ground. You still use a treated sole plate but can then use regular 2x4's for the studs.

/ Pole barn versus Floating slab #7  
I don't understand it either, but I think it's because most people don't understand the basics of building and they think that a pole barn is better or cheaper. The only advantage to building a pole barn is when you are NOT going to pour a concrete floor. Once you decide to pour concrete, it is better to go with stick framing.

Eddie

/ Pole barn versus Floating slab #8  
That size pole barn would cost about $2-4K for materials, not counting the floor. The methods each have their pros and cons, so you really need to look at the job and site requirements. You can go to the diypolebarns.com site to price a kit.

Speed of construction is one benefit of pole barns, which can influence labor costs if you're paying someone else to do the work. If not, that factor goes away.

Setting poles and putting up wall girts goes fast once the holes are dug, so that's not a real issue to me. It's pretty easy if you have experience. No question it will go faster than stick building for sure.

In my case, not having time to do the whole project by myself, I compared sq ft costs for pole construction versus stick building for a 20x20, and the pole barn was significantly cheaper. The crew of 3 had the structure and roof up in one day, including a short delay waiting for a footing inspection. After that was siding and trim (board & batten) which went slower. Total was 2.5 days. It would have been 1.5 days if we had steel siding/roof.

/ Pole barn versus Floating slab #9  
By the way, if you don't need concrete floor slab for loads, going with a framed floor on blocks or piers is even cheaper. I used to build sheds like that many years ago as a summer job. Don't overlook that option if you can get by with framed floor and plywood deck. It is even more amenable to stick building than slab.

/ Pole barn versus Floating slab
Before this goes off in the wrong direction. I will try to reword my question. Question being. Why one selects a pole type structure versus a slab from a cost stand point and as well as ease of building. Removing 1000 from the 6000 in the cost of the build due to old building disposal. So for about 5000 or $13 a square foot you get a storage shed. Maybe i should of asked what people have paid for a pole building with a slab poured after cost per sq ft. for a similar sized building.

To answer some of the previous responses.

1)The building longevity is not in question. Personally i would take a slab over a wood pole in the ground any day. Most buildings this size around here are p.t. 4x4 with 3/4" p.t. plywood floor over a stone bed.
2)Frost walls are not being poured due to added cost. Would that be ideal? yes. Its not my money to spend.
3)I am not concerned as the framing will be 8"-10" from the ground versus being set on a foundation wall. The wood portion of the building will not be in contact with "Grade".
4) Walls will be tied to slab with anchor bolts.
5) Fiber will not be added as i have a 2'x2' rebar grid for the whole structure. Fiber in my view would be useless in this case as rebar is far superior.
6) The building will be set on a stone bed about 12"(maybe more depending on how much organic matter is removed) with perf pipe draining to daylight. So drainage won't be an issue.
7)Not that he plans on taking a hose to clean off the floor. But how is getting the sill plate wet any different to getting the wood post wet or the exterior wall covering and or battens of the pole building wet?
I did not list all the steps that will be done for the build or all the details. I just wanted to give those who have a similar pole building an idea of what type of structure i wanted to compare to for pricing. I see most pole buildings have enclosed walls. For example i wouldn't be able to compare pricing to a pole building with just a roof.
Maybe as years go on i will keep updating this thread to keep people informed on how this method of building holds up over time.
Thanks for the replies.