Pole Barn Sanity Check

/ Pole Barn Sanity Check #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
There sure are alot of people building Pole Barns! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My plans have been on and off again for years but this time I have to do something so here is what I'm thinking about building.

I don't like the idea of wood below grade. I know it can be done but I ain't doing it. What I plan on doing is building a 36'x 24' barn with a gravel, ABC, floor. With this size I can have 12' oc spans which makes it a bit easier and cheaper to build. BUT, I will have to have a line of poles running down the center of the barn. BUT, BUT, this really won't matter because....

What I have to do first is get a storage container. I need a place to act as a mini garage to store my tools and such at the new house. I want to sit this thing once and never move it again. AND, in the future I don't want to see it. SOOooo, I'm going to put it where the barn will go and eventually the barn will hide the container.

One of the problems that I have is money and time. I'm out of both. So I'm going to set the container in its place and build the barn later. But this means I have to get any digging done before I place the container. I'm going to put in retaining wall blocks around the perimeter of the barn to hold in the ABC and to level the gravel. There is a slight slope where the barn is going. I don't want to dig down due to tree roots so I will build up.

To put in the retaining wall block, I'm going to trench down 12 inches or so, put int 6 inches or so of 67 stone to get level walls. Freeze line in my area is 6 inchs or so.

My big problem is that I need concrete piers to support the columns and I need to dig them now since once the block and the container will make it very difficult to get the backhoe in position to dig. Soooo, I'm gong to dig deeper holes where the piers will be located and for the time being fill the hole with 67 stone and retaining wall block. When its pier building time I'll have to untack the block and dig through the gravel to get the bottom of the hole but that is not that hard with gravel. I have thought of building PT forms and putting them in place now but decided against this idea.

So how crazy is this. I have run this buy the building inspecters and they are ok with this plan.

One question I do have is what size piers should I build. My original plan was to put in 12 inch solotubes even though this seemed like it might be building to much but one of the other discussion on barns mentione 24 inch piers! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have been looking at 6x6 PT 12 to 16 feet long for the columns. I might go to 4x6 if they can handle the load. I'm pretty sure that they can and they are roughtly $25 vs $35.

Thoughts?

Later,
Dan

/ Pole Barn Sanity Check #2  
I guess if you ever decide you don't like the container in the barn, you can always cut it up to get it out...hello plasma cutter /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
As for your pier dimensions, all new pole barns around here are on 24" piers. If you talk to the county inspectors, ask them what the standard is. Even a local building contractor might be able to answer that question.

/ Pole Barn Sanity Check
Larry,

I mention the pier size to the inspector and he did not seem to have a problem with it. I have an 18 inch bucket so the hole will be at least 18 inches by 30-40 inches. For a foot/wall it seems like the code wanted a 2 to 1 ratio. If the wall was 12 inches then the footer had to be 24. And the wall could not be within one or two inches of the edge of the footer.

Not sure if the applies in my application....

The container is not a metal one its made out of fiberglass. I can cut it with wood tools if needed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I will have a door in front of the container so I should be able to get it out if required. Hopefully no need for a plasma cutter! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Or maybe I can use this as an excuse to GET a plasma cutter! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latrer,
Dan

/ Pole Barn Sanity Check #4  
Dan,

I didn't notice you mention anything about seeing previous discussions, so I'll just offer this link to Eddie Walker's My Container Barn thread. I think there might be a lot of useful information for you in this thread.

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Pole Barn Sanity Check #5  
Dan,

If you're looking for a warm fuzzy on your plan, I should think digging for the pier now is a good idea. It certainly would make any hand digging later much easier and if at that time the code says you need a 28" pier, a little work with a breaker bar on the sides would get you there quickly.
I neglected to say that some pole barns here span over 40' and your intentions to put up center poles changes load bearing calcs...your plan might allow for smaller piers.
Now as for that barn Eddie Walker built, that is the most creative use of containers I have ever seen. Around here though, anything bigger than 120sqft requires a permit, permits require drawings, drawings require stamps, and stamps require calcs...any engineers on this website want to stamp that for my seismic zone? Sure is a nice piece of work though.

/ Pole Barn Sanity Check #6  
Up here anything over 150 sq ft requires a permit, anything over 1500 sq ft requires a stamped blue print, unless it's an ag building. I'm in farm country so the farmers get a well deserved break, no blue prints required and I think the permit is low or no cost.

/ Pole Barn Sanity Check #7  
I've got a friend in the process of building a horse barn and I believe he's over 7k in plans and permits. Another local gal got into trouble for not permiting a couple of pasture shelters, about 10x20 maybe (I see them on my way to work). The area I live in is very rural so I guess you've got to build a tax base somehow.

/ Pole Barn Sanity Check #8  
Gary, Thanks for the compliment.

Dan, I've never seen a fiberglass container, so this might not be relevant to you, but then again...

When I bought my metal containers, I had planned on useing them for the walls of a barn from the very beginning. They are stronger then anything I can ever build from wood and in the meantime, they are just about as secure a storage unit that you can find. I thought the price was very reasonable also at $1,500 each delivered for 40 footers.

One of the bigger mistakes I made was not getting the dirtwork done properly. I did it myself as I needed it done. I really should have spent a few extra days digging out the hillside and drainage for extreme weather. I learned later on that I hadn't done this correctly and had some issues that I had to come back and fix.

If you bought one metal container barn, you could use it as the middle support of a barn that you build off of each side of it. Kind of like a lean-to. You could build one side at a time. When both sides are done, you could cut openings in the container to get back and forth.

Good luck with your project and please post photo's when you start on it.

Eddie Walker

PS Where I live, no buildig permits exist outside of city limits. If you own ten acres or more, you can also install your own septic system.

/ Pole Barn Sanity Check #9  
dmccarty,

I purchased a handbook “Post-Frame Building Handbook” from Mid West Plan Service or <font color="blue">MWPS</font> for $14. A good read for anyone designing and building a pole barn.

I attached a zipped Excel worksheet I created that calculates live loads per the book. Pretty basic but sometimes that’s all you need…

/ Pole Barn Sanity Check
Golfgar4,

I remember that container barn! Its a very clever idea. But we don't have space for two containers and the Wife ain't gonna like it. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I showed here the pictures long ago and I got The Look. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We have a fair amount of land but where the barn is going its tight due to property lines and trees that I don't want to loose.

Later,
Dan