Poison Ivy cure!

/ Poison Ivy cure! #21  
According to this study: The effectiveness of jewelweed, Impatiens capensis, the related cultivar I. balsamina and the component, lawsone in preventing post poison ivy exposure contact dermatitis - ScienceDirect
jewelweed mash was effective on poison ivy, but extracts that they tested were not. And they say that soap is more effective for preventing a reaction after exposure. Which makes sense- any urushiol you get rid of won't be there to cause a reaction. Of course you could do that and use a jewelweed mash on any rash that happens anyhow.

Unfortunately jewelweed does not grow in the west.

/ Poison Ivy cure!
According to this study: The effectiveness of jewelweed, Impatiens capensis, the related cultivar I. balsamina and the component, lawsone in preventing post poison ivy exposure contact dermatitis - ScienceDirect
jewelweed mash was effective on poison ivy, but extracts that they tested were not. And they say that soap is more effective for preventing a reaction after exposure. Which makes sense- any urushiol you get rid of won't be there to cause a reaction. Of course you could do that and use a jewelweed mash on any rash that happens anyhow.

Unfortunately jewelweed does not grow in the west.
You have poison ivy but no Jewel Weed?
If you need some I can send you some.

/ Poison Ivy cure! #23  
The west doesn't have the poison ivy like here in the East either.

Poison Oak, the west has enough for all. ;-)

/ Poison Ivy cure! #25  
And they say that soap is more effective for preventing a reaction after exposure. Which makes sense- any urushiol you get rid of won't be there to cause a reaction.
Washing with soap does not prevent a reaction after exposure, just lessens the reaction.

Wiping the exposed area with a clothe saturated with rubbing alcohol is more effective than soap. Alcohol cuts the urushiol oil better than soap making it easier to wipe of the skin. Unfortunately for those like myself that are sensitive to poison ivy and poison oak, anything you do to remove urushiol oil after exposure will only lessen the reaction, not prevent a reaction.

/ Poison Ivy cure!
Alcohol gets off pine tree sap also. I get it because I have to mow around them here.
Washing with soap does not prevent a reaction after exposure, just lessens the reaction.

Wiping the exposed area with a clothe saturated with rubbing alcohol is more effective than soap. Alcohol cuts the urushiol oil better than soap making it easier to wipe of the skin. Unfortunately for those like myself that are sensitive to poison ivy and poison oak, anything you do to remove urushiol oil after exposure will only lessen the reaction, not prevent a reaction.

/ Poison Ivy cure! #27  
If I could sell poison ivy I would be rich because my East Tennessee Farm is a haven for it. Have vines that I could take to the sawmill!
My mom told me that Cherokee tradition of eating some leaves of poison ivy in the spring would keep you immune to the effects. It’s an allergen not a poison. In college I had emeritus botany professor who did the same. Soon new leaves will appear and I will continue the tradition. The most I have ever got a reaction is a few bumps on the thin skin between fingers while chainsawing and clearing vines barehanded. Not recommending that anyone should eat poison ivy. Just this hillybillie’s experience.

/ Poison Ivy cure! #28  
Never seen nor heard of poison ivy or poison sumac around here. However, poison oak makes up for the lack. I'm doubly fortunate to have none on my 80. But when out & about - I'm always wary. I'm VERY allergic to poison oak.

/ Poison Ivy cure! #29  
Technu is a very popular product made locally in the PNW.
My personal experience to share...... in the middle late 70's I was working in a patch of poison oak, didn't really know about it at all. Morning time, come lunch I was itching and red and starting to puss. It was awful. At two pm that day a guy in the local store saw me when I went in for a snack on the drive home. It was Highland Laboratories' Rhus Tox. Homeopathic remedy. I took the small pills that look like Sachrin. By night fall I wasn't itching and in two days it cleared up. As a result of that incident, I am believe it or not immune to the stuff. I can grab a sprig of it and chase anyone around with it and not be affected at all.