plywood with black facing

/ plywood with black facing #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
I have quite a bit of plywood with a black facing on one side. Almost like a thin paper with a very fine grit to it, like 2000 sandpaper. Unsure what it was to be used for. Wish to use it on a stud wall inside a garage type building to enclose it. Rockwool is in the cavity.
Any ideas of what this is? Put the black facing so it is not seen or so it is visible?

Would paint the plywood white at some time. Pretty good grade plywood, pretty much void free. Nothing on the plywood gives a clue what this application was for. Thanks

/ plywood with black facing
I appreciate the info provided. Still unsure the best way to use it. The building will use it on the second floor of a non living area but will have some heat eventually. The second floor is of a gambrel style roof. The "studs" are a full 9 inches and is the support for the roof there. It has a 3/4 foil faces fiberglass insulation facing the roof and Rockwool 7 1/4 inch on top. Thinking of adding a thin fan fold or 1/2 Dow rigid blue board and then attaching the plywood.
Still not sure if the black side should face the roof or face the interior. A low moisture area, no plumbing etc. up there. Plan to paint the plywood white for visibility even though there are several windows up there. Thoughts on black side in or out or reasons therefore?

/ plywood with black facing #4  
Based on my simplistic homeowner skills/knowledge, since you're going to paint the interior side white, I'd put the black side facing up (out). Otherwise you'll probably need twenty coats of paint to block out the black.....

/ plywood with black facing #5  
Black Film Faced Plywood is made from poplar veneer, overlaid with Dynea coated paper, edges and sealed to give a moisture resistant board. It has a high load baring capacity and due to its strength it is ideal for formwork and will keep its shape regardless of changes in humidity.

I'd say, black side facing the same direction as local codes say to place vapor barrier that is on insulation. Your identification doesn't show your location. If northern states, vapor barrier faces the living area. In deep south states, vapor barrier faces the outside, but would be placed closer to the outside walls.

If you don't like the above answer, then you can slice the black coated paper, to break the vapor barrier that is provides. Don't have two vapor barriers