plum trees.. can you plan single. or do you need two to fruit?

/ plum trees.. can you plan single. or do you need two to fruit? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I know some plants want parts.. didn't know if plum is happy by itself.

I have some wild ones on property.. but nowhere near where I am planting the new one.

thanks

/ plum trees.. can you plan single. or do you need two to fruit? #2  
I did plums years ago. As I recall at the time I needed 2 of different varieties. Maybe it's changed now. But I still remember a particularly dry year where a tiny 6 year old tree (Santa Rosa I think) got stressed and sent off plums galore. We ate some, we made jelly/jam, we took pounds to work to give away. That went on for 3 weeks. The other tree (I don't recall but I'm sure you can find it) was solely there to pollinate. That was the same year that a tiny black walnut tree dropped enough nuts to feed the rodents for years. At the time I did pears and apples also. Pears also required a cross pollinator (I think I had a bartlett and a duchess). Apples I did red and yellow delicious and a mac. I didn't have much money at the time so bought my trees on "close-out" sales. I have to say it was a lot of work with pruning and spraying and such but was actually kind of fun. We now live in a glacial "sand pit" but I think I might take up the hobby again.

/ plum trees.. can you plan single. or do you need two to fruit? #3  
Everything depends on the species and even the variety. Just need to note when buying them if they are self-pollinators or not.

/ plum trees.. can you plan single. or do you need two to fruit? #4  
Plums are a mixed bag but pairs and some cross pollination always works better. Some plums, like the blue Stanley plum are said to require only one tree but two work better. If I recall, Miller Nursery has a nice on-line catalog that breaks plums down by variety. I'll bet yours are on the Stanley or Italian plum type and a second or similar tree would be helpful.

/ plum trees.. can you plan single. or do you need two to fruit?
the one i looked at said 'needs polinator'

I couldn't tell if that meant it needed insect help to polinate.. or if it needed a pair of plants...

/ plum trees.. can you plan single. or do you need two to fruit? #6  
the one i looked at said 'needs polinator'

I couldn't tell if that meant it needed insect help to polinate.. or if it needed a pair of plants...

Means tree or trees. With plums, the more the merrier. Find the variety and then you can look up what it's "pollinator" is. You also need the bees to do the pollinating.

/ plum trees.. can you plan single. or do you need two to fruit?
thanks

/ plum trees.. can you plan single. or do you need two to fruit? #8  
Get some bees and some plums........I once recieved 10000 bees trough the US mail. You should have seen the people backing up through the post office as I walked out with those insects buzzing away..:rolleyes:
Japanese plums grow like weeds here. They are small but tasty. Might make a good jam....dunno.

/ plum trees.. can you plan single. or do you need two to fruit? #9  
The original homesteaders here had plums. Still have three really old trees. Seems the chipmunks, squirrels & raccoons like the plums more than I do. Deer & porcupine eat those that fall. Wasps chew holes in all of them. Its somewhat of a loosing battle getting those that are supposed to be mine. I've even seen the coyotes eat them off the ground.

/ plum trees.. can you plan single. or do you need two to fruit? #10  
I have a stark bro plum that has 3 varieties grafted on one tree.