Plowing?

/ Plowing? #1  

Frosty

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST; Kubota KX040
I drove past a field today where a farmer was plowing with a 4 bottom (flip over style) plow. The tractor was a pretty big JD w/ dual rear wheels and FWD with ag tires. I was to far away to tell what number model the tractor was.

How big a tractor does it take to pull a 4 bottom plow? He was sure ripping that stubble field up in pretty good time! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Plowing? #2  
<font color=blue>...How big a tractor does it take to pull a 4 bottom plow?...</font color=blue>

Lots of variables: bulk tractor weight, width of moldboards, depth, ground cover type...etc.

Quick rule of thumb for "basic moldboard plows"- 15 - 20 dbhp per plow... with the "shovel/flat" style requiring upwards of 2-3 times more dbhp per unit for sustained use... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Plowing? #3  
You're probably looking at 90-120 hp minimum to pull that plow through any significant ground.

/ Plowing? #4  
I agree. Back in the day, tractor manufacturers would boast a 40 or 50 HP tractor would pull a 4 bottom, but I could never quite figure out where they came up with those numbers. I think they had smaller plows or something. I wouldn't touch a 4 bottom with anything less than 90 HP.

/ Plowing? #5  
My father had a Farmall Super MTA Diesel - Pulled a Fast Hitch 4 - 14" bottom plow very nicely. The JD 4020 would pull a 5 bottom plow.

/ Plowing? #6  
Back in the 50's 60's the rule of thumbs was 1 inch of plow width per horse power. But that was on average soil an very few people had that. The plow bottoms could vary in size from 12 inch to 18 inch. Most popular were 14's & 16's inch bottoms.

We plowed with a AC WD pulling 2-16 inch plows. It was everything it could handle but it managed.. We also had a Famall Super C with 2-14 inch plow, it was a joke plowiing. We used it for planting, cultivating, making hay an other light chores but the plow stayed in the shed.

We still have the same Super C tractor here in Michigan where the soil is allot lighter.
It can pull the two bottoms like it was nothing, what a difference from Illinois clay...

/ Plowing? #7  
I had a 2 bottom for my Farmall 200. It was OK. I had a NFE and wheel weights on, but it was difficult to keep the front end down.

/ Plowing?
I looked up a JD 4020 and looks like a rear wheel drive w/ single wheels. How much hp is one? I was thinking probably a minimum of 4WD and dual wheels.
Thank everyone for your feedback. I'm having a lot of fun learning from you folks on TNB. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Plowing? #9  
91.17 PTO hp.

Here's a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://forty-twenty.com>web site</A> dedicated to the 4020.

/ Plowing? #10  
Very few of the tractors before the 80's and 90's were 4wd. Even now alot of the tractors aren't 4wd. You can put duals on the 4020 as well. I've got a set for mine that I use. Actually any of the ag tractors that way you can usually put duals on them. They are meant to be taken on and off depending on what you are doing.