Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Plowing snow on a chip & tar driveway

/ Plowing snow on a chip & tar driveway #1  

jdgreg

Gold Member
Been reading posts on different plowing opinions till I'm dizzy. I've been pushing and plowing snow at my place for the last 16yrs, but I've almost always used the BB with the tractor in reverse. After reading all these posts, I'm gonna try 2 things, a) using the BB like it's supposed to, pulling it, and b) using a soft edge on the blade made of horse stall mat from TSC, to protect my asphalt driveway.

Now for the real question, our common driveway is several hundred feet of chip & tar. I am interested in trying to minimize wear and tear on it, se we dont have to have it resurfaced every couple of years ($$$$). Would the soft edge on my BB be sufficient for the C&T driveway? Would a polypyrene or similar edge be better? Or ???

/ Plowing snow on a chip & tar driveway #2  
on the highway dpt I did 54 miles of road on my route with 90% chip and seal, Same thing you call chip and tar...Depends on the weight of the blade, how many layers of chip and seal are down. We used a layer of 3/4 then 1/2 minus, then chip and tar again., So we had a pretty good base. Most chip and seal drives are double layer chip.. That being the case. keep the plow up a 1/4-1/2.... Yes you have a layer of crust and possible sanding afterwards.. Sure beats redoing the chip and seal again..