Plowing County Road??

/ Plowing County Road?? #81  
My county road used to be on a school bus route, which meant that our road was plowed quite often. Since the kids that used to ride the bus not longer do so, our road is no longer plowed, like at all. We have had two separate snow events this winter. Each dumped about 6 inches of snow. For some, that's not a ton, for us, that's worthy of sending the grader down the road, which has yet to happen.

My county road is gravel, well, somewhat. Its mostly dirt with some old gravel they put down at least 10 years ago. Its about 3 miles long, with windy twists and turns and steep climbs. Everyone on my road has my phone number and call me when they inevitably end up in the ditch. Even when the road is plowed, they end up in the ditch. I am happy to pull them out using my tractor.

Here I am a few years ago pulling a truck out
View attachment 771827

Since we are no longer getting plowed out, at least in a timely fashion, I am considering running my tractor with my inverted snow blower down the road and back. What are your thoughts on this?

The county has been receptive of us doing our own road "maintenance" during the summer with washboard smoothing. We just cant use a steel blade for fear of sparking a fire, but they recommended dragging tires and chain link fence down the road. But snow removal might be pushing it?

I donno, just a thought. We are expecting another storm soon, that is forecast to dump about 9 inches in a few days.
Sadly, while your neighbors would appreciate your efforts, without some signed agreement with the county, you open yourself to lawsuits for any damages or injury that occurs after you plow the road. Even if some idiot crashes trying to pass you while you're clearing the road.

/ Plowing County Road?? #82  
My county road used to be on a school bus route, which meant that our road was plowed quite often. Since the kids that used to ride the bus not longer do so, our road is no longer plowed, like at all. We have had two separate snow events this winter. Each dumped about 6 inches of snow. For some, that's not a ton, for us, that's worthy of sending the grader down the road, which has yet to happen.

My county road is gravel, well, somewhat. Its mostly dirt with some old gravel they put down at least 10 years ago. Its about 3 miles long, with windy twists and turns and steep climbs. Everyone on my road has my phone number and call me when they inevitably end up in the ditch. Even when the road is plowed, they end up in the ditch. I am happy to pull them out using my tractor.

Here I am a few years ago pulling a truck out
View attachment 771827

Since we are no longer getting plowed out, at least in a timely fashion, I am considering running my tractor with my inverted snow blower down the road and back. What are your thoughts on this?

The county has been receptive of us doing our own road "maintenance" during the summer with washboard smoothing. We just cant use a steel blade for fear of sparking a fire, but they recommended dragging tires and chain link fence down the road. But snow removal might be pushing it?

I donno, just a thought. We are expecting another storm soon, that is forecast to dump about 9 inches in a few days.
You do pay taxes on your property, right???

Seems to me that some conversations with your elected county officials are a bit overdue. There will be more elections would be a fairly good opening point.

/ Plowing County Road?? #83  
I had a similar situation. I would only plow in an absolute emergency. If you take on road maintenance on your own, you have opened yourself up for liability. You pay property taxes, state and federal income tax, road tax (car insurance and registration fees), fuel taxes and so on.
My advice, go to a county board of commissioners meeting with as many neighbors as possible. Put the county on notice at the meeting. Take away the government's plausible deniability !

/ Plowing County Road?? #84  
That wouldn't fly around here. Back in the late 50's, early 60's, my cousin drove a snowplow for the township. One stormy Christmas he got permission to take his dinner break here, so he could enjoy Christmas dinner with the rest of his family. He was allowed to back the plow into our driveway so it was off the road, but he had to leave the blade up while he was here, even when it was parked. There wasn't to be even the slightest appearance that taxpayer resources were being used on a private driveway.
If anything, the powers that be are worse about that sort of thing now.
I'm glad I don't live there. Yesterday I installed a driveway tube for a taxpayer.

/ Plowing County Road?? #85  
I am simple amazed at the number of paranoid people posting on this thread and others recently.

I'm glad I don't live there. Yesterday I installed a driveway tube for a taxpayer.
Around here the culvert to access the road the town will often install if it's further up the driveway they don't do them.

Edit.
PS I always plow the snow at least on the right side of my road more then far enough back so the plow truck has no snow on the blade to leave a plow wipe in my driveway. And I'll often plow or clean off bothsides when I finish with my driveway as often I'll push snow across the road while doing my driveway.

/ Plowing County Road?? #86  
I likely answered this before, but DO NOT plow the County Road. You could be held liable if someone gets in an accident. Go to your Councilor/Mayor/ Road Supt and demand that your road be maintained Winter and Summer

/ Plowing County Road?? #88  
I am simple amazed at the number of paranoid people posting on this thread and others recently.

Around here the culvert to access the road the town will often install if it's further up the driveway they don't do them.

Edit.
PS I always plow the snow at least on the right side of my road more then far enough back so the plow truck has no snow on the blade to leave a plow wipe in my driveway. And I'll often plow or clean off bothsides when I finish with my driveway as often I'll push snow across the road while doing my driveway.
I know some intelligent, logical men that don't know to clean the road shoulder a distance away from the driveway so I don'r push their driveway full. How hard is that to understand? :)

/ Plowing County Road?? #89  
maybe a plow on your tractor?...blowers are great for deeper snow...but they are slow...
I don't find it to be slow at all. If I decide to remove the wash boarding I'll run at about 8-10 MPH and if I'm only going for snow, 20 mph or so. I am running a much larger tractor than most for that though but only a 92" plow so I still need to make a couple of swipes at it. The road is pretty well graded so I'm not worried about jamming and the plow is spring loaded just in case.

/ Plowing County Road?? #90  
I'll push snow across the road while doing my driveway.
That's a BIG no no here,but only enforce if cause damage to vehicle or chucks snow left in road.