Buying Advice Playing dealers off each other?

/ Playing dealers off each other? #21  
They know when you buy you will have to come back for parts and service.

Not necessarily. I shop for parts and service too. Maybe warranty only work, like getting into the front of the line?

/ Playing dealers off each other? #22  
I worked for a large firm, 3,400 employees in one building, of which 1,800 were engineers.
There was a Chevy dealer 2 miles away.

That Chevy dealer got so tired of being haggled by the engineers that when they found out I was one of the engineers,,,
they flat-out refused to sell me a pickup. The salesman actually walked away from me,,,
It was my first visit there,, the salesman asked where I worked, I told him, he walked away.
I have only been back to that dealer to buy parts, never to talk to a new-car salesman.

I think the level of haggling in the recent past for a specific dealer can play into your findings.

I went into a JD dealer about 18 months ago. The guy must not have sold anything recently.
He practically stood on his head to sell me a tractor,, I purchased it.
The delivery driver told me I got the tractor for almost 10% less than what HE had been offered as a price.
He was hot that he did not get the tractor!! :confused2:

/ Playing dealers off each other? #23  
That part is a flat-out lie. While Deere does likes its dealers to cover certain regions and not overlap each other you are free to buy from whatever dealer you want. There are quite a few farms in my area that buy Deere and bypass 3 close dealerships to go to a farther one since the prices and service are better.

The bigger question is when it needs service are you going to take it to the farther dealer or the closer one? If you are going to use the closer one for service you may not want to make them mad (they may remember that you didn't buy from them).

Either way good luck.
I don't own a deere, but one of the local shops that handle deere references everything you buy from them based on your phone number and they ALWAYS ask your phone number when you are arranging service

/ Playing dealers off each other? #24  
That part is a flat-out lie. While Deere does likes its dealers to cover certain regions and not overlap each other you are free to buy from whatever dealer you want. There are quite a few farms in my area that buy Deere and bypass 3 close dealerships to go to a farther one since the prices and service are better.

The bigger question is when it needs service are you going to take it to the farther dealer or the closer one? If you are going to use the closer one for service you may not want to make them mad (they may remember that you didn't buy from them).

Either way good luck.

Not necessarily, The fact that they are asking the op to lie on the purchase order means there is "some" reason they do not want to settle for this machine outside of their aor.

/ Playing dealers off each other? #25  
Last Summer I bought a new X 758 450 miles from home and saved 2,200.00 Dollars . My local dealer got the first chance and failed . After the deal and the pickup I seen the local dealer away from the store and he ask about the X 758 and if I was ready for it . I said no thank you and that was all I said .
About two months later I bought the things to service the X 758 from his store . Seeing I bought stuff for a new tractor he ask what I was doing . I told him I bought a tractor at a better price and was very happy with the Tractor . It took a day to drive over and back to save over 2K I call that a good day?

/ Playing dealers off each other? #26  
I will definitely be buying out of the area unless there is a real effort to get
my business with no 1,000 dollar down payment for a series 1 without a mower and
a loader as the LA115 is of junk value after six years.

I also found that they(the two locals)never seem to lower their prices at the end of the model year
either so that makes my poor experience with them much easier to switch dealers/buy out of the area.

I can see spending 12K on a used truck that was repossessed with very low miles(mine-2012 miles)
but spending that kind of money (15K) for a series 1 tractor with a loader and no cab that will outlast
a fifteen year old truck is another matter.

/ Playing dealers off each other? #27  
My second 2 cents is that a lot of dealers in high-end (expensive) industries are concentrating on breading loyal shoppers and are simply not courting price only shoppers. To those dealers walking away from a bad or low margin deal does not equal a lost sale, to them it equals time not wasted to find the proper buyer. It is not the kind of relationship they are looking for, right or wrong....

Last edited:
   / Playing dealers off each other? #28  
I have shamelessly wasted many a sales mans time in the past, without any intention of buying from him. I don't do that any more, and try and be perfectly honest about my intentions. I find that usually works out better. If they can't or don't wish to listen to what the situation is, and then get upset, I don't think that's my fault.

/ Playing dealers off each other? #29  
My second 2 cents is that a lot of dealers in high-end (expensive) industries are concentrating on breading loyal shoppers and are simply not courting price only shoppers. To those dealers walking away from a bad or low margin deal does not equal a lost sale, to them it equals time not wasted to find the proper buyer. It is not the kind of relationship they are looking for, right or wrong....
In our business, we just flat out ask, "Are you going to buy from the dealer that offers the lowest price?" And if they say yes, we tell them, "We are not interested in 'low bidder' business," and conclude the conversation.

There is a very good business reason for this. You'd expect that the people who hold out for the absolute cheapest price would leave you alone, while those who paid more would be much pickier buyers of service. Turns out the opposite is true: that guy who wants the last $100 off will be the first one to bad mouth you if anything goes wrong. So in the days of internet reviews and "net influencers" if having a great reputation for service is important, you politely run away from the price-focused buyers.

And BTW the price-focused buyers will always deny this is their behavior.

/ Playing dealers off each other? #30  
In our business, we just flat out ask, "Are you going to buy from the dealer that offers the lowest price?" And if they say yes, we tell them, "We are not interested in 'low bidder' business," and conclude the conversation.

There is a very good business reason for this. You'd expect that the people who hold out for the absolute cheapest price would leave you alone, while those who paid more would be much pickier buyers of service. Turns out the opposite is true: that guy who wants the last $100 off will be the first one to bad mouth you if anything goes wrong. So in the days of internet reviews and "net influencers" if having a great reputation for service is important, you politely run away from the price-focused buyers.

And BTW the price-focused buyers will always deny this is their behavior.

So true.