Playing around in the dirt

/ Playing around in the dirt #1  

amarsh64

Silver Member
Tractor
LS G3033H TLB Husqvarna YTH1942
I have been putting in a little road down behind our house in order to make a spot for our bandsaw mill. I am in about 100 feet or so and something like 35 feet wide at the back. I will push another 15 feet into the woods at the back and widen it out by another 15 or 20 feet before I set the mill up. The mill will go at the far end along the tree line. The area will need to be bigger but I am itching to get sawing lumber. I will need to lay more crushed shale to level up for the pad but first the last of the trees in the way have to come down. One more weekend should do it. I started this about 1 1/2 or 2 months ago . I only work on it Saturday and Sunday mornings as it get too hot in the afternoons. Really enjoying myself !

20220717_115221.jpg
20220717_115205.jpg
20220717_115135.jpg

/ Playing around in the dirt #2  
Doing great! I can imagine how much anticipation you have.... sawing your own lumber... can't get much better than that!

/ Playing around in the dirt #3  
Wow, I wish I had gravel like that on my farm

Andy

/ Playing around in the dirt #4  
Very nice work ! So what’s that thing attached to the back of your tractor in the first picture ?

/ Playing around in the dirt
Wow, I wish I had gravel like that on my farm

Andy
Crushed shale . I get it from a pit about 3 miles down the road. 80 dollars per tandem load. Very good deal in my opinion and it packs down really good.

Very nice work ! So what’s that thing attached to the back of your tractor in the first picture ?
It's a Woodland Mills WC68 wood chipper. Works awesome . I am chipping every bit of brush as I go . The only problem I have with it so far and it is my own doing is that if I put it up high on the 3 point it is angled. It tends to drip hydro fluid out the cap if left that way. And I forget to lower it sometimes. You can see the stain on the ground from hours of sitting at an angle. I will check the rubber seal on the cap. Maybe it is not quite seated.

Last edited:
   / Playing around in the dirt #7  
Crushed shale . I get it from a pit about 3 miles down the road. 80 dollars per tandem load. Very good deal in my opinion and it packs down really good.

That does look like a good deal. Here a tandem load is about 13 ton or so. I have to pay almost $10 a ton and truck it myself. Nice job on the clearing and road. You must have a mountain of chips by now if you are chipping all the slash.

gg

That does look like a good deal. Here a tandem load is about 13 ton or so. I have to pay almost $10 a ton and truck it myself. Nice job on the clearing and road. You must have a mountain of chips by now if you are chipping all the slash.

gg
Hi Gordon , I am not sure how many tons are in a tandem load but I get it delivered for that price. Feeling pretty lucky considering the price of diesel . As for the chips , most of it is either spread out around the edge or filling in the hollows in small amounts. Surprisingly it didn't add up to nearly as much as I would have thought . More hardwood branches than softwood . Anything that could go for firewood or if big enough get sawn on the mill (hard or soft) was saved. What I learned real quick was to alternate softwood branches and hardwood branches when feeding the chipper . Too many green spruce branches all at once and you will find yourself unclogging the chute. Probably the same for most chippers.

Cheers.

Last edited: