Plate Compactors-Buy or Rent

/ Plate Compactors-Buy or Rent #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Just wondering if it would be better to buy or rent a plate compactor. I have several projects ranging from a pool patio, front walk way, gazebo, garden walkway, garage addition and a bed in front of the house. There is alot of prep work to be done which requires a compactor. None of it will be done all at once so I'm think renting might be really expensive.

Where is a good place to buy? Harbor Freight and Sears sell the least expensive ones I could find $550 and $650 respectively.

/ Plate Compactors-Buy or Rent #2  
Go e-bay and buy a used commercial model. When your done sell it. It will bring a better return than the HF or Sears light duty models IMHO.

MarkV

/ Plate Compactors-Buy or Rent #3  
I have the 6.5HP model from Harbor Freight and have about 65 hours on it so far. It goes through a tank (1.5 qts.?) of gas in about 2-1/2 hours @ full speed. I have run it for four hours straight numerous times when I was building my garage pad. That thing is bullet proof. Don't forget to grease the bearing, adjust the belts, and change the oil after five hours. It will do you good. :thumbsup:
Forgot to mention that it has already paid for itself compared to renting one, AND it came with a two year warranty (which you won't get with a used unit), and another big plus is that I don't have to run to the rental store every time I need it for a small job.

/ Plate Compactors-Buy or Rent #4  
I purchased a used MultiQuip Mikasa plate compactor with a Robin (Subaru) engine that was originally from a rental yard. It cost me $550 plus about $50 for new belts and a few small parts. Most rental places have these but they rarely rent them and when they do they usually go out for the 4 hour min.. They turn them over about every 3-4 years so they have newer equipment. I've had mine for about 10 years and use it 2-3 times a year and it always starts easy and runs flawlessly.

/ Plate Compactors-Buy or Rent #5  
My rule of thumb is that if I expect to spend half of the purchase cost on rental, I buy it. I think that's conservative because I figure I can resell it for at least half the cost and I usually am a lot slower at doing things than I expected to be.