Plastic welding and welders

/ Plastic welding and welders #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
My search found a lot of folks talking about them and recommending them on the forums but I'm not seeing any tips/tricks/recommendations.

I'm looking for one to repair broken seams on some fuel cans, patch an IBC tote, the odd crack on the fourwheeler/SxS/dirt bike. I'm also pretty dedicated to buy once for the rest of my life so I need one for 30-40 years that doesn't use proprietary "rods" that some of the amazon offerings seem to have.

I saw this video a long time ago and went back to it to start my research, I'd really like one like that, seems pretty dead nuts simple and pretty bomb proof. Can't find it and the one's I've found similar are not built to the standard.

/ Plastic welding and welders #2  
When it comes to fuel cans, I would replace, have yet to see any plastic repair/fix that are equal to strength of original product..... If your IBC tote is cracking its because the "plastic" has become brittle and is approaching its EOL (End Of Life) probably better to replace it also....

/ Plastic welding and welders
When it comes to fuel cans, I would replace, have yet to see any plastic repair/fix that are equal to strength of original product..... If your IBC tote is cracking its because the "plastic" has become brittle and is approaching its EOL (End Of Life) probably better to replace it also....
Meh, actually the tote has a hole in it because a tractor fork made one. I've got many totes, some as old as 5 years old, and I haven't seen one of them crack from age yet. But your feedback doesn't tell me anything about a plastic welder...

/ Plastic welding and welders #4  
My search found a lot of folks talking about them and recommending them on the forums but I'm not seeing any tips/tricks/recommendations.

I'm looking for one to repair broken seams on some fuel cans, patch an IBC tote, the odd crack on the fourwheeler/SxS/dirt bike. I'm also pretty dedicated to buy once for the rest of my life so I need one for 30-40 years that doesn't use proprietary "rods" that some of the amazon offerings seem to have.

I saw this video a long time ago and went back to it to start my research, I'd really like one like that, seems pretty dead nuts simple and pretty bomb proof. Can't find it and the one's I've found similar are not built to the standard.
Fuel cans crack with age because the plastcizers slowly evaporate from the plastic. Because of this weld repairing these fuel cans is, in my opinion, a bad idea. On the other hand, plastic that has been cracked due to mechanical reasons can be often be repaired and have the repair last the life of the object. Before buying a plastic welder you should determine which types of plastics you will be repairing. Thermosetting plastics, such as epoxy, cannot be welded. They can only be bonded, this means some sort of glue. You can only weld thermoplastics. There are all sorts of thermoplastics and a particular plastic piece will often have the type of plastic it is made from identified by a number inside of a triangle. So look at your stuff and then look to see if welding rods are available for your plastics, then buy some and practice. I have had some good results welding some plastics but it really does take quite a bit of practice to make high quality welds.
MY STATEMENT ABOVE THAT PLASTIC FUEL CANS LOSE THEIR PLASTICIZERS IS WRONG. HDPE PLASTIC FUEL CANS DO NOT CONTAIN NOR DO THEY NEED PLASTICIZERS. dstig1 POINTED OUT MY ERRONEOUS POST AND I APPRECIATE THIS. MY APOLOGIES FOR POSTING INCORRECT INFORMATION.
Sincerely,
Eric

Last edited:
   / Plastic welding and welders #5  
Meh, actually the tote has a hole in it because a tractor fork made one. I've got many totes, some as old as 5 years old, and I haven't seen one of them crack from age yet. But your feedback doesn't tell me anything about a plastic welder...
I guess what you didn't comprehend is that plastic welder may no be a solution to your failing plastics problem....

/ Plastic welding and welders #6  
I have tried plastic welding and even used to sell one type of the tool in a shop i had. From experience and tool feedback, i was not impressed at all with plastic welding.

I have had better luck using a two-part epoxy formulated for plastics. And if possible covering both sides of any crack/hole/etc is the best bet.

There are even specially made epoxies for fuel tank repair. Don't know about their use on plastic cans though.

/ Plastic welding and welders #7  
Gas cans are made from high density polyethylene (HDPE). It does not contain plasticizers. People throw that term around a lot without understanding it. Really the only plastic you ever run into that contains plasticizers is PVC (aka vinyl). You have seen rigid PVC pipes for plumbing. You have seen portfolio folders for holding papers made of vinyl that are soft and flexible. Same basic material but the soft one has plasticizers in it to make it flexible and they do leach out over time. That is why when you put printed papers in them and leave them a long time the paper sticks to the vinyl.

Gas cans deteriorate like all plastic over time due to the same things: heat, chemical exposure, and UV exposure. UV really chews up PE so they add tons of UV stabilizers to help out, and the dark pigment helps too, but you can't fight mother nature forever. Ozone can act similar to UV, so if you are near a lot of electric arcs like from motors or welding over time that can do similar damage.

/ Plastic welding and welders #8  
I've been using the soldering iron type from Harbor Freight for a few years, it isn't great but it gets the job done and for $16 it's cheaper than buying a lot of the stuff it can fix... I used it a couple months ago to weld the gas tank of my lawn mower, used it to sink some of the stainless screen it comes with in the crack then covered it with some extra material that it comes with... You have to be gentile with the thing though, let the heat do the work as the tip will bend and break off at the threads, but you can run a 6mm die down it a couple times... It isn't a lifetime tool but it's $16... I think part of the trick is melting the parent material before you try to add material or fill gaps which this allows

/ Plastic welding and welders #9  
Gas cans are made from high density polyethylene (HDPE). It does not contain plasticizers. People throw that term around a lot without understanding it. Really the only plastic you ever run into that contains plasticizers is PVC (aka vinyl). You have seen rigid PVC pipes for plumbing. You have seen portfolio folders for holding papers made of vinyl that are soft and flexible. Same basic material but the soft one has plasticizers in it to make it flexible and they do leach out over time. That is why when you put printed papers in them and leave them a long time the paper sticks to the vinyl.

Gas cans deteriorate like all plastic over time due to the same things: heat, chemical exposure, and UV exposure. UV really chews up PE so they add tons of UV stabilizers to help out, and the dark pigment helps too, but you can't fight mother nature forever. Ozone can act similar to UV, so if you are near a lot of electric arcs like from motors or welding over time that can do similar damage.
You are correct of course about HDPE fuel cans not containing plasticizers. I should be awake when I post stuff. Thanks for pointing out my error. I really dislike passing on incorrect information and encourage correction of mistakes I make. I knew that HDPE didn't need plasticizers yet I engaged my typing finger without engaging my brain. Thanks again for pointing out my incorrect post, I really appreciate it.
Eric

/ Plastic welding and welders #10  
I've plastic welded some rain barrels with frost cracks over the years using a soldering iron and strips of barrel as feed stock. It's like TIG welding. Joints are water tight but not as strong as new.

A good plastic welder uses ultrasound as well as heat. $$$$. IMHO Not worth buying the tools unless you plan to make a business out of it. Keep in mind plastic isn't infinitely recyclable and you need to use virgin stock as feed material for best results.

Trying to repair a gerry can is a recipe for disaster. Just don't do it. All plastics degrade over time. A new gerry can costs $20 and no headaches or major spills to clean up.