plasma cutters

/ plasma cutters
Jimgerken, i used to work at companies with plenty of connections at cutting shops, either they had their own lasers, or i had to order laser cut parts from a supplier every week, so its easy to put something with the order (no adjustment and startup costs) and pay my own few parts when picking them up after work.

At the company i work now, all fabrication, welding and machining is outsourced to a subcontractor in Slovakia, where hourly wages are half of the wages here. (same contractor also welds for Volvo and Liebherr, so we have to if we want to stay competitive)
So paying the parts straight, without a bill, isnt going to work.

How much did you pay for the NC table ? does it require nesting software ?

Here's the kicker: When using the plasma on the NC table, it is always held vertical, and there is not enough intelligence in the programming to slow for curves, etc.

So do i get you right when i understand that your NC table has only a single speed on the X and Y axis movement, so if you cut at a 45 degree angle, both X and Y axis will move at 100% speed, resulting in 133% cutting speed ? (according to pythagoras, a2+b2=c2 ) ??
This sounds contradicting, as it would make cutting round holes impossible (only a multitude of 45 degree angles) ??

please explain ???

/ plasma cutters
I have about $800 bucks in the entire setup. Including software, table, computer. Not including plasma cutter torch and powersource.

nah, I am not really into electronics, and the pictures of wires scare me off...
I better stick to steel stuff, instead of pressing myself into something i dont have the skills for...

/ plasma cutters #35  
Here are pics of 3/4" plate cuts with my Miller Spectrum 625 40amp machine. This was free hand, stand off cutting. I was right at the limit of my machine. It cuts 1/4-3/8" like it's nothing. I have 25' leads but they also sell 50' for my machine.
I cut a lot of 3/8" and 1/2" bolts that have old mortar on them and it cuts them much better than a torch. Since I got my plasma cutter I ONLY use my O/A torch for heating!
Best thing about a Plasma is no pre-heating, just push button and go. I have learned to carve with mine just like you will do with O/A when fitting or trimming. Also carve out welds without hurting base metal.
Water will shorten tip life. I have about 80' of 1/2" pipe to where I plug in my Plasma so I don't have problems with water.

Attachments

• 000_0333.JPG
    000_0333.JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 000_0335.JPG
    000_0335.JPG
    347.4 KB · Views: 126
   / plasma cutters
I am after the welders right now:

I can get a Tico 210C which is a 210 amp welder, but with a 60% duty cycle (others have only a 35% duty cycle) and it has copper spools (not aluminium) and there is a Tico dealer 4km from my home. The machine is hardly used, but the guy wants 900 euro for it after i offered 850, where a new one (ex. VAT, which i can get back on the farm account) for 1100 euro, which includes a one year factory warranty. For 200 euro extra i get a full warranty and buy from my dealer, not a guy from just somewhere.
I guess its a no brainer and i'll have to buy new, if my dealer can match the internet sales price of 1100 euro.

The plasma, i will ask for some information on what my dealer can do... For the same money i'd rather buy from the dealer, which will also help me when i need something fixed on saturday... When you allow someone to earn a living, they will be much more helpfull if you need a bottle of gas or some tips, on an unsuitable time or day...

/ plasma cutters #37  
This was free hand, stand off cutting.

How do you do free hand stand-off cutting? When I cut free hand (and
most of the time with guides/templates) I am drag-cutting.

I do get slag on all my cuts, but it knocks off very easily with my chip
hammer. I use a dual in-line drier....I have not experimented with other
methods of keeping my air dry. I wonder how much less slag, and how
much cleaner my cuts would be with bottled dry air?

I have gone up to 3/4" with my 40A, too, but it is slow and not pretty. It
does the job, though.

/ plasma cutters #38  
dfkrug,

I believe the amount and kind of dross is dependent on the current/amps selection, for the type and thickness of metal, plus the speed of cut, and torch height. There is a happy medium in there somewhere, similar to the sweet spot, where things come together to work best. I have one of the track runners that I am going to try one day. It can take a plasma torch or an oxy/acetylene setup.

Oxygen plasma cutting of carbon steel leads to better cut quality: higher speed, lower bevel angles (squareness), less cut face roughness, larger dross-free window, thinner HAZ, and a more weld-friendly cut surface, which can lower the amount of defects detrimental in a structure

/ plasma cutters #39  
I believe the amount and kind of dross is dependent on the current/amps selection, for the type and thickness of metal, plus the speed of cut, and torch height. There is a happy medium in there somewhere, similar to the sweet spot, where things come together to work best. I have one of the track runners that I am going to try one day. It can take a plasma torch or an oxy/acetylene setup.

Oxygen plasma cutting of carbon steel leads to better cut quality: higher speed, lower bevel angles (squareness), less cut face roughness, larger dross-free window, thinner HAZ, and a more weld-friendly cut surface, which can lower the amount of defects detrimental in a structure

I have a track cutter, too. Used it only once. Now I just clamp straight
edges and drag-cut.

I have not experimented much with the relationship betw current, thickness
of material, speed, etc. I have only used compressor air (with drier), too.
Have you ever tried oxygen or other gases, JJ? It sounds intrigueing.

/ plasma cutters #40  
No, I just do a little cutting here and there, It is very useful at cutting expanded metal. When and if I ever get my computer cutting table up and running, I may try some other gases. My garage is full to the brim, and I don't have a place to put it. However I am thinking about one of those 20 X 8 containers to store some metal and setup the plasma cutter and table. I will have to build something to catch the dross and contain the sparks, and exhaust the fumes.

If anyone is interested, I have an almost new Lincoln ProCut-25 for sale for someone in sheet metal or cutting thin stainless, or aluminum.

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e1151.pdf