Planting Sunflowers

/ Planting Sunflowers #1  

Agrantina

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240 GST
We are going to put in a 6ac sunflower field this yr for a dove hunt in Sept. I need some advice on how to plant them. Land is normal farm land which was beans last yr. So tilling/ discing will not be a problem. Let me start by saying I have L3240- 6ft disc, 5ft cutter, 5 ft tiller, cultipacker, sparyer and 3pt speader. I have been plotting for about 10yrs now so I have everything that need to broadcast plant. Now the problem is I DO NOT have a planter. Last year I broadcasted soybeans and IC peas and simple disced them in and had real good luck with doing that. Did have weeds but deer dont care about weeds as much as doves do. I have found over yrs of dove hunting that doves like to see the dirt and have a place land so a lot of weeds in the field is not a good thing. So giving that I dont have a planter to row up sunflowers what is the best way to plant them????

AndyG

/ Planting Sunflowers #2  
I just broadcast them. No need to put them in rows. My experiance with sunflowers is that the goldfinches clean them before sept 1st. So you need to time it just right. I put in white proso millet along with the sunflowers, some german millet also. You can till strips to dust, its dust in Sept here, then you mow crossways very low and that scatters the seed on the dirt. Its a good idea to sow your seed LATE. Keep tilling and getting rid of weeds, then when you sow around June 1st you really won't have that many weed issues. No need to till deep just till about 2-3 inches down every 3 weeks till June. Since you have 6 acers don't put all your doves in one basket. Plant say 4 in sundlowers and the rest in white millet. You'll need to plant the millet around the 20th of june. Recipe for dove:.Split breasts so they will lay flatter in the pan. Roll in flour and fry tll light golden brown, salt and black pepper, don't over cook! Remove fried breasts from skillet and place in oven proof dish that has a cover. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Drain off all the oil from the skillet except for about 1/4 cup. Turn up stove and put one heaping table spoon of flour in skillet with the 1/4 cup of oil you left in the skillet. Stir for a few mintues till the flour is "cooked" Add 3 cups milk. Stir till its steamy but not boiling. Pour over dove breasts in pan and place pan in oven for 30 minutes. <~~~~~this is delicious!

/ Planting Sunflowers #3  
Thanks to both of you for Feeding the birds.we always plant a few Of the big Russian sunflowers and a patch of the Mexican variety to feed the birds>..l

/ Planting Sunflowers
bilrus61- your're making my mouth water already!!!--- What rate per ac do you think is good for broadcasting sunflowers and millet?

Andy

/ Planting Sunflowers
We have decided to broadcast the sunflowers. We are going to disc the 6ac and then disc again after 10 days to completely get all the weeds. Then my plan is broadcast the sunflowers, lightly disc them in and then rollover with my cultipacker. Hopefully I will get good seed to soil contact and the disc-ing will not burry :confused: them to deep!

AndyG

/ Planting Sunflowers #6  
Yes disking is a rough way to do it but put plenty of seed and enough will survive . Can you not find an old corn planter ?

/ Planting Sunflowers
D7E-
been looking for a good planter at the right price- but just cant seem to find one that isnt +1k.. I would love one but just cant justify spending that amount for a once a year use, but I am always looking:thumbsup:..

Andy

/ Planting Sunflowers #8  
Dumb question, but what seed do you plant? Will the birdseed (sunflower) sold at tractor supply be adequate or is there some other seed available ? Can I drill it at 8" spacing or plant it in 30" rows with a row planter? How deep?

/ Planting Sunflowers #9  
We grow confection varieties in 38in rows , I have seen guys plant with a regular 9 inch space air-seeder but more disease issue than with a planter but for your purpose spacing would not matter just depth accuracy . I would certainly try a disc drill with course seed rollers .

/ Planting Sunflowers #10  
I planted the black oil variety, sold as bird seed, on 30" rows. Also an unknown giant variety, on 30"s. Used my 70 Flexi with (I believe) a B7-24 corn plate for the giant, and a B30-24 sunflower plate for the black oil, geared to space 8". Germination was excellent. They came up and looked beautiful, until the plants got about 10" tall. Then, seemingly overnight, they lost all their leaves. Didn't eat the stem and all, just nibbled the leaves off. :laughing: . Drilling would work, the gates on my FB drill won't open wide enough to meter them without smashing the seed. Mark