Plain Old Grass

/ Plain Old Grass #1  

webbmeister

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC25D
The tree folks just finished clearing the 3 acre property the we will build our home on in March. It is a magnificent hill, flowing down into a lake and surrounded on two sides by a small creek. It was owned for almost 50 years by the gentleman next door, who bought it along with his 5 acres, to be sure that no one would build in his backyard. After his wife passed on about 25 years ago, his brother moved in with him and they planted an apple orchard that served to both honor her memory and to keep him busy and his mind off his loss. Shortly after the orchard was planted, his brother passed away, and he did his best to keep up for as long as he could. Fifteen years ago, at the age of 70, he finally had to give up on the orchard and the rest of the property, and it became thickly overgrown with suckers, volunteers, buckthorn, sumac, and brush and bushes of all kinds.

We were lucky to find a wonderful tree service that came in and removed all but the healthy apple trees and specimen trees, and limbed and pruned the 60 or so remaining trees beautifully. It was something to see the tears glistening in the old man's eyes as he saw the property once again begin to resemble what it had been like in his younger days. He became lost in his descriptions of how his daughter "used to ride her horse and carriage here, she was quite an equestrian you know;" and how his wife "used to plant the vegtable garden there;" and how his brother had "helped him to plant trees all along here and over there." It was hard to control the catch in my own throat as I watched and listened to him. Man, what an intensely powerful experience. It was as if his memories had been frozen in all that overgrowth for all those years, and they were released in a flood when the clearing was done. He is a remarkable man, and I feel a great responsibility to be a good steward of the property. That brings me to my question (finally! - sorry this got long ...)

A lot of the property that was under the unpruned canopies of the apple and specimen trees did not have enough light for grass to grow. Ditto for areas that were thick with suckers, volunteers, and brush. Add to that the grass that was damaged by the tree service's heavy machinery (they tried *hard* to minimize the damage) and there are significant areas without grass. The grass in the undamaged areas is not lawn-type grass, but a rougher type that seems to grow naturally in this neck of the woods (N.E. IL). It is like the grass you'd find in a public park in very large spaces - definitely not the kind you'd find in a prize-winning lawn. It doesn't need any special care or watering, it just grows and tends to crowd out other growth (including weeds!) So, what kind of grass is this? Where might I get seed for the damaged and newly exposed areas? I want the place to look great not only for my wife and me, but so my neighbor can enjoy it again as it once was and go to his grave knowing that what meant so much to him during his lifetime will be well tended for another generation.

I'm happy for any information anyone can provide.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

/ Plain Old Grass #2  
If it is smooth enough to mow, just mow what is there. The grass will come. At least that is my experience, after clearing about 3 acres, and now mowing 8. I have never planted grass. I roll it in the spring, mow it, fertilize it a little, and use a broadleaf spray for weeds that I don't like. Some like dandelions, I don't.
Sounds like a nice orchard, and one you can be proud of too.

/ Plain Old Grass #3  
Jim,

Beenthere is correct. The grass will eventually return. All you need to do is mow it. Now, if you wish to jump start the process, go ahead and overseed the area. You could use a tall fescue. That would probably work just fine.

To maintain the area, I would keep the grass mowed no lower than 4-5 inches. This will do a couple of things for you. One - keep the weeks down. Two - keep the moisture in the ground.

Nice story about the gentleman who owned the property. That is kind of you to do what your doing. Keep up the good work.

Terry

/ Plain Old Grass #4  
We've got an old family friend who owns an orchard.... probably 50 acres. Old Burley (as everyone called him) used to roto-till his orchards ocassionally. He would plant what he called "orchard glass", which is that course grained grass that chokes out the weeds and grows about 6-8 inches high. I think he used to get it at the local Agway store.

Henry

/ Plain Old Grass #5  
webbmeister
Great story w/ a happy ending/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
You've got the answer, it's orchard grass. There are different "mixes", maybe your neighbor has some info. The grass can be mowed and look nice, patched areas should blend in eventually, w/ mowing & consider aeratoring the grass should eliminate the weeds.
regards
Mutt

/ Plain Old Grass #6  
Nice story, NOT TOO LONG!!!! If you can't get the "matching" grass, seed with winter rye or something that the will hold the ground, not look too bad, and will be replaced by spreading of the vigorous grass around it. If yo want to speed the process you could cut some plugs out of the well established areas and transplant them to the bare areas. This plugging is not mutually exclusive with planting rye or whatever. With a good scattering of plugs, the original hearty grass should take over pretty quickly.

I planted a few acres of winter rye, what I thought was pretty late in the season and got a snow after about 10-20% sprouted. Thought it was a loss B U T we have had about a month of nice warm weather with only a couple mild frosts since and the rye is taking off like it was spring. When it comes to weather in south central Oklahoma, the only thing you know for sure is that you can't know for sure. If the rain we are getting as I write this was snow it would make quite a blizzard. Satellite TV blanks out under these conditions as there is just too much water in the sky between us and the satellite.

Side note: Whoever ordered the rain and didn't get it, I did. Two inches in the gauge a couple hours ago and pouring still. I went tractoring in it to ensure the beavers efforts (low dams at pond exits) met with minor disastors. Visited 3 out of 8 ponds. Don't think I have any problems with the others that can't wait. You get some strange looks from pasers by when you are pressure washing your tractor during a good rain.

Thanks again for sharing the story.

Patrick

/ Plain Old Grass #7  
<font color=blue>Two inches in the gauge a couple hours ago</font color=blue>

Patrick, since yesterday morning, I've gotten over 6.5" and it's still raining! Most I've gotten in one shot in the 7 years I've been here.

BirdSig.jpg

/ Plain Old Grass #8  
Cheer up Bird, you made the evening news all the way up here./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gifIf the whole state got 6 1/2 inches thats 30,500,000,000,000 Gallons. Where does all that water go, besides down hill.
Al

/ Plain Old Grass #9  
Al, a lot of it's going downhill all right, but my yard and vegetable garden plot also look like a rice paddy./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif My brother has been concerned about the fish he stocked in his 15' deep pond because it was about to dry up, and since we usually don't get big rains all at once, he just built a wire mesh screen over the "spillway" and put in two 4" pipes for the overflow./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif His wife has already found one fish in the yard./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Don't know how many went around and down the drainage ditch./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And of course, the creek is out of banks and over the road below my house.

BirdSig.jpg

/ Plain Old Grass #10  
Kentucky 31, is a durable grass that would grow well in you orchard. I believe it is a tall fescue & is rather cheap. By the way, great story./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif