Pivot irrigation being built

/ Pivot irrigation being built #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
While I've passed by many, I've never been near during a build. Learning, with morning coffee.... Rgds, D.

/ Pivot irrigation being built #2  
There not building any of those near where I live…. Only tearing them down to build houses and apartments. At breakneck speeds. Completely ruining my town.

/ Pivot irrigation being built
There not building any of those near where I live…. Only tearing them down to build houses and apartments. At breakneck speeds. Completely ruining my town.
Hmmm..... not the comment I was expecting....... but that leads me to: That general topic has been much on my mind for quite some time.

I won't digitize my thought train (would likely get any thread on here locked), except to say - Thanos is a clear and present danger.

On thread - I liked the simple elegance of the bang-bang control. We don't need no stinking Microcontrollers ! I've observed (present-day) military bids let out, that spec No Microcontroller, where one would reflexively be found. On the bang-bang, OK, maybe those cams might eventually wear-out/down, but with the right metallurgy, they are going to last a really long time.....

That was the Tech-side. $-wise, even the casual observer (w. brain-cells) can figure out that Farming can be a brutal game financially.

That said, I always liked the social part of local farming - at its best, a group of people come together, self-organize, and pull off a massive project together. I like getting big projects done, with like-minded people...... haven't made it to a barn raising yet, but I'm old enough to remember helping out at as a young lad at grain harvest time using an old-school stationary belt-drive thresher.

I can see where that group-act old-school Get Big Project Done, appeals to some other people too...... w/o going looking for it, I remember stumbling across a Dance of the Timberframers vid I came across a year or 3 back..... it was a big brand-new timber-frame barn going up. Volunteers from all over the USA (and maybe further) flew in to help raise that barn. IIRC, it wasn't even the old-order religious groups that still traditional farm that way, who were exclusively doing that build.

Rgds, D.

Last edited: