pit bulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / pit bulls #1  

whistlepig

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 with FEL
My wife and I have had Dobermans for 35 years. A friend of ours has had pit bulls for about the same length of time. We got attached to her pit bulls. So we got one three years ago. We still have one Doberman. These dogs don't seem to be the monster the media wants them to be. We are responsible with big dogs. Taking extra care around children and strangers. That's just common sense. Just wondering if any of you country folks had problems with pit bulls. Most people in the city don't know about animals.

/ pit bulls #2  
This "country folk" wouldn't allow a pit bull anywhere near his property. I have two mutts, really good outside dogs and great loyal companions. I once was awakened at 1:30 a.m. to the sound of a screaming dog, found a pit bull on back porch with my dog in a headlock. No doubt the pit bulls intended to kill my dog had I not gotten there in time.

It all happened so fast I didn't think to get a gun, I just picked up the broom on my way out and ran him off. I will know better if there's a next time. I did learn later on that one of my neighbors (about 5 miles) had encountered a similar dog which killed several goats. After staking out his pasture for a day or so, he was able to catch the dog in the act and kill him. He did the whole community a favor.

There are so many dogs out there that are much kinder, gentler, and more reliable than either of these breeds. It sounds like you're a great owner and wouldn't allow a mean/bad dog to hang around but with the pit bull, you just never know.

/ pit bulls
I appreciate your input. We don't allow our dogs out of our sight even for a second. Both our pit bull and doberman always have a shock collar on them on open ground. Not that these dogs are horrible beasts. It's just the responsibility of owning a large dog. Some think dogs are just dogs. If something goes wrong they can bat their eyes and things will be all better. I consider handling big dogs as serious as handling a firearm. We don't have vicious dogs. In the 35 years of owning big dogs no one has ever been bitten. A few scared but none bitten.

/ pit bulls #4  
I do not trust pitbulls in particular and some other breeds. In the news of 'attacked by a dog' it is the pit bull overwhelmingly that is cited. It is always 'was a kind and gently dog. He never did that before'. As to shock collars, careful, etc. Kid in Spokane had his face ruined by a PB 'never did that before' with the careful owners right inside the door. Too fast to stop.

Harry K

/ pit bulls #5  
I do not trust pitbulls in particular and some other breeds. In the news of 'attacked by a dog' it is the pit bull overwhelmingly that is cited. It is always 'was a kind and gently dog. He never did that before'. As to shock collars, careful, etc. Kid in Spokane had his face ruined by a PB 'never did that before' with the careful owners right inside the door. Too fast to stop.

Harry K

Never had a pit bull, but what Harry K. says would be my worry. Who knows if what we hear about is representative? In any case, some states are just about outright banning them (and other breeds) and insurance co's are starting to ask if you own one.

I don't think its good to ignore the basic breed temperment. Just like most Labs will chase a frisbee all day long, non-retrievers will be bored with chasing just about anything, and pit bulls were breed originally to be very tenacious fighters.

You seem to be a caring, responsible dog owner. That helps a lot with any breed.
Dave.

/ pit bulls #6  
You seem to be a caring, responsible dog owner. That helps a lot with any breed.
Dave.

Amen to that Dave.

I have never met a nasty Pit Bull but I would not have one "just in case".

/ pit bulls #7  
FWIW, I agree with the other concerned posters. Dogs have intelligence and training always makes a big difference. However, animals have stamped, inbred instincts that can never be fully overcome. You never, ever know when that inner "flag" goes up, that trip wire gets hit and something happens you regret the rest of your life. All the supposed gentleness and good training won't overcome that instant moment when the trigger goes off and that power takes over. Training never takes away breeding, it just tries to manage it.

Siegfried and Roy, the Vegas tiger handlers have any meaning? Does to me.

/ pit bulls #9  
I have had two pit/chows for the last 7 years.
I will never get another.
The chow makes the dogs bone headed, single minded creatures.
The pit in them makes them amped up with a high prey drive (no small creatures are safe, mice, snakes, rats, rabbits, etc they are all fair game)
They have gone after each other, and they just wont stop.
I love my dogs, but once they are gone there will not be another pitt or chow in our house.
I have been around dogs my whole life, I also have a basenji so i know stubborn, but these two take it to a new level.
Yes they scare people, yes they are a great security system, but there are other dogs out there are will do the same.
All that being said, I have only ever been bit by german sheppards. Three different ones have come after me.

/ pit bulls #10  
Years ago my Dad had a really great Brittney Spaniel. He was a heck of a pheasant dog, but just like Forgeblast's no small critter was safe. Squirrels, rabbits, muskrats; you name it he nailed them all. The prey drive can show up in all breeds.

One of our Leonbergers will go ballistic any time a crow, hawk, vulture, raven or even a dove goes over. Plus, he has fear aggression issues with about half the dogs he meets.

I think an alert dog that has a good sense of home territory and not so aggressive is good way to go. They let you know if something's going on outside.

Never send a dog to do a man's job ;)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.