Pipe Wrench only option?

/ Pipe Wrench only option? #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
I need to replace the seals in my 425 lift cylinders. Last time (on another machine), I had to use a pipe wrench to take the cylinder caps off. A strap wrench would slip. Also, one of the vice grip chain wrenches for oil filters and other round objects slipped too. A pipe wrench leaves quite a few apprentice marks but I'm aware of no other option.

/ Pipe Wrench only option? #2  
Sometimes a cylinder has slots cut to use a spanner wrench. I never take the effort to get one and use a pipe wrench anyway. If it’s smooth I don’t know of any non marking tool that can equal the grip of a pipe wrench.

/ Pipe Wrench only option? #3  
You might try this.
$11.99. Or try wrapping the threads on your pipe wrench with duct tape!

Details
Ships from
Amazon
New & Used (2) from
$11.54 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon.
Roll over image to zoom in

• 31LtnnWSC4L._AC_US75_.jpg

• 41fyfn7KIWL._AC_US75_.jpg

• 41M3gc56TaL._AC_US75_.jpg

• 41wWVS+Vd1L._AC_US75_.jpg

• 417H2pFFPqL._AC_US75_.jpg

• 51u38utf7EL._AC_US75_.jpg

• 41ISnCAWijL._AC_US75_.jpg

WORKPRO 12" Adjustable Oil Filter Pliers, Oil Filter Wrench Adjustable Oil Filter Removal Tool, Ideal For Engine Filters, Conduit, & Fittings, W114083A​

Visit the WORKPRO Store
4.6 out of 5 stars 7,229 ratings
Amazon's Choice

-25% $11.99$11.99

/ Pipe Wrench only option? #4  
You might try this.
$11.99. Or try wrapping the threads on your pipe wrench with duct tape!

Details
Ships from
Amazon
New & Used (2) from
$11.54 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon.
Roll over image to zoom in

• 31LtnnWSC4L._AC_US75_.jpg

• 41fyfn7KIWL._AC_US75_.jpg

• 41M3gc56TaL._AC_US75_.jpg

• 41wWVS+Vd1L._AC_US75_.jpg

• 417H2pFFPqL._AC_US75_.jpg

• 51u38utf7EL._AC_US75_.jpg

• 41ISnCAWijL._AC_US75_.jpg

WORKPRO 12" Adjustable Oil Filter Pliers, Oil Filter Wrench Adjustable Oil Filter Removal Tool, Ideal For Engine Filters, Conduit, & Fittings, W114083A​

Visit the WORKPRO Store
4.6 out of 5 stars 7,229 ratings
Amazon's Choice

-25% $11.99$11.99

An oil filter wrench isn’t nearly beefy enough for the toque typically needed for a cylinder gland. And they still have metal teeth that would scar the cylinder.

/ Pipe Wrench only option? #5  
Mine has essentially large flats, making it look like a regular hex-nut.... however it's 3-4 inches in diameter.

I just use the pipe wrench on mine, along with a cheater bar on the wrench.

After all, what is the cylinder, if not a large "pipe"!!

/ Pipe Wrench only option? #6  
An oil filter wrench isn’t nearly beefy enough for the toque typically needed for a cylinder gland. And they still have metal teeth that would scar the cylinder.
You’re right! I never had to take mine apart!

/ Pipe Wrench only option? #7  
Mine has essentially large flats, making it look like a regular hex-nut.... however it's 3-4 inches in diameter.

I just use the pipe wrench on mine, along with a cheater bar on the wrench.

After all, what is the cylinder, if not a large "pipe"!!

I had a 4 ft long pipe wrench attempting to take the lift cylinders on my dozer apart. I didn’t have a large enough pipe to use to use for a cheater and had to push the wrench with my skid steer. The dozer cylinder was maybe 3.5” bore so not a really big cylinder. My tractor cylinder that’s about a 1-3/4” bore was about the top end of what I could manage without a cheater on a 2 ft wrench. Cylinder glands are tight and the piston nut is typically even worse.

/ Pipe Wrench only option? #8  
If you have a piece of steel and a torch you can make a wrench to fit I assume the cylinder gland for removal. Make it so you can use a hammer on the homemade wrench.
You might think about torqueing the gland when reassembling.

/ Pipe Wrench only option? #9  
I just did mine. Used a pipe wrench. Clearly, the last person that changed the seals did as well....

/ Pipe Wrench only option? #10  
I have never had a powertrac so not sure what your cyl. caps look like but I use a cyl head wrench that my local hydro shop rents out basically just for deposit as I buy parts from them. I think they charged me a depost of $200 and gave it all back as I told them I would buy my parts from them and pizzas for the shop. They told me the Volvo cap. wrench is worth something like $300 new.

1677438985428.png