Pipe Arch culvert... any experience?

/ Pipe Arch culvert... any experience? #11  
But I wanted to ask whether anyone here has used them and has anything more to offer in thoughts and/or recommendations in their use or avoidance.

View attachment 580291

I looked into them years ago. No local supplier, so if I wanted one, the shipping charges made it prohibitive. Price it first, then decide.

/ Pipe Arch culvert... any experience? #12  
this ditch runs along about 100yds of my new road, before it dumps out to the side and away.

Could you re-work it a little so that you put in 2 smaller (round) pipes every 50 yards?

/ Pipe Arch culvert... any experience? #13  
Could you re-work it a little so that you put in 2 smaller (round) pipes every 50 yards?

After 35 years of clogged culverts,, this year I vowed to resolve my driveway washout issue,,

The project was major, for me,, it was done by a pro, and ended up costing over $3K,,,

The guys sticker on his truck is very accurate,,,

I5EK2Aq.jpg

Before starting, this is what would happen to my driveway during a heavy rain,,

Driveway%20Before_zpskm6khqed.jpg

Chris decided that replacing the two 8 inch culverts would require four 12 inch culverts,,
I changed that to three 12 inch culverts, and one 15 inch culvert, the bigger one where I usually got the most water flow.

eLLP6AX.jpg

The culverts installed under this road are double wall,, they are smooth inside.
The water flow is CRAZY fast,,,

I installed one 12 inch single wall culvert where the loggers had used a steel bridge,
The water flow through the single wall culvert is painfully show to watch, compared to the smooth pipe.

I purchased the single wall at Lowes,, what a mistake,,
In the end, a local plumbing supply sold me the double wall for about the same price as Lowes single wall.

My original two culverts, replaced by four larger pipes, were HEAVILY tested this year,,
The local rainfall has been 18 inches above average, and about 5 inches above any year on record,,,

My four pipes, spaced about every 150 feet, are easily handling all the water.

My driveway is steep, so, instead of one 20 foot pipe, I installed two (40 feet),
This placed the outlet WAY below the inlet,, enhancing the water velocity.

In this pic, one pipe was installed just out of view to the upper left, one was installed right where the excavator is, and a third is installed just out of view to the lower right.

ei9bPwW.jpg

I am convinced,, multiple double wall 12 inch plastic smooth interior pipes will easily flow more water than a steel or plastic single wall 18 inch culvert.

I have first hand knowledge of the effect of the ripple interior on water flow,,,

/ Pipe Arch culvert... any experience?

The ditch runs along my road for about 100yds. I only need a crossing in one location. Just a 20’ culvert will do the job for my road crossing, if it will handle the flow. Basically I want to -T- off the road to another on the other side of the ditch, over the culvert.

I looked into them years ago. No local supplier, so if I wanted one, the shipping charges made it prohibitive. Price it first, then decide.

I can get one locally for about 1/3 the price shipped to my farm. I’ll just bring my truck and trailer to town one week and make my neighbors wonder what I’m doing with a long flatbed, in our development. I’m hoping to sell my ‘in town’ house next spring. Should have sold it this year, as I suspect it was top of the market.

/ Pipe Arch culvert... any experience? #16  
Now - those box culverts that Bruce(bcp) is showing. One of the railroads that pass thru this area use those things quite often. They serve a multiple purpose - with a poured, flat concrete bottom they allow cattle to pass from one side of the railroad to the other and of course if there is ever enough rain - they pass water. Obviously - somewhat taller than bcp has pictured.

Thank God for that last sentence. I was picturing real short cows.

/ Pipe Arch culvert... any experience? #18  
Yes - before I posted - I read it and knew somebody would question how tall our cows are around here.

/ Pipe Arch culvert... any experience? #19  
After 35 years of clogged culverts,, this year I vowed to resolve my driveway washout issue,,

The project was major, for me,, it was done by a pro, and ended up costing over $3K,,,

The guys sticker on his truck is very accurate,,,

I5EK2Aq.jpg

Before starting, this is what would happen to my driveway during a heavy rain,,

Driveway%20Before_zpskm6khqed.jpg

Chris decided that replacing the two 8 inch culverts would require four 12 inch culverts,,
I changed that to three 12 inch culverts, and one 15 inch culvert, the bigger one where I usually got the most water flow.

eLLP6AX.jpg

The culverts installed under this road are double wall,, they are smooth inside.
The water flow is CRAZY fast,,,

I installed one 12 inch single wall culvert where the loggers had used a steel bridge,
The water flow through the single wall culvert is painfully show to watch, compared to the smooth pipe.

I purchased the single wall at Lowes,, what a mistake,,
In the end, a local plumbing supply sold me the double wall for about the same price as Lowes single wall.

My original two culverts, replaced by four larger pipes, were HEAVILY tested this year,,
The local rainfall has been 18 inches above average, and about 5 inches above any year on record,,,

My four pipes, spaced about every 150 feet, are easily handling all the water.

My driveway is steep, so, instead of one 20 foot pipe, I installed two (40 feet),
This placed the outlet WAY below the inlet,, enhancing the water velocity.

In this pic, one pipe was installed just out of view to the upper left, one was installed right where the excavator is, and a third is installed just out of view to the lower right.

ei9bPwW.jpg

I am convinced,, multiple double wall 12 inch plastic smooth interior pipes will easily flow more water than a steel or plastic single wall 18 inch culvert.

I have first hand knowledge of the effect of the ripple interior on water flow,,,

I like the CROWN on your driveway.
So few seem to understand the importance of CROWN!

Lots of sizes available, from rabbit to elk. :)

View attachment 580624

precast box culverts at DuckDuckGo

Bruce

Those would actually work much better than a culvert, but I'd have to pour footings in order to install it wouldn't I? What sort of weight limit and what sort of coverage is required? I would need one about 12" tall inside by about 4-6' wide. I could build up the road to the edge of the culvert for either span length and I suspect the capacity at 4' would be adequate for sure.

I really like the thought of those, now that I see this pic. I hadn't thought of anything like that at all. Do they make them in a 'box' rather than 'C' configuration, and if so, would I still have to pour footings? I suspect I would, because settling would cause it to crack and fail.