Pintle hitch (GenY Hitch)

/ Pintle hitch (GenY Hitch) #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I was looking for a weight distributing hitch, and saw this hitch which would fit the bill nicely. However, I am confused about its use as a Pintle Hitch. I have never used a Pintle before, but have read about them. My understanding is their benefit is mainly that they are much more 'heavy duty' hitches, given they don't rely on a ball. However this hitch DOES rely on a ball, just in a bit different manner, when it is in 'Pintle mode'.

What do you guys think about this hitch and would it be 'good enough' to use for a pintle connection, should that need ever arise for me?

They make a Class IV (10,000lb) and Class V (16,000 or 20,000lb) version. I'm going to be using it on a 2006 F-350 Dually Crew 4x4.

Genyhitch.JPG

/ Pintle hitch (GenY Hitch) #2  
Looks like it would work just fine. There are several pintle set ups that use a ball and then have the locking part swing down on the ball. Do you have a pintle trailer? If not yet and no real reason for one I would stick to GN trailers.

brett

/ Pintle hitch (GenY Hitch)
I don't have a pintle trailer, at the moment.

What made me think about it was a Government Liquidation generator on a trailer. The trailer had a pintle hitch, and I began thinking that if I wanted to bid on it, I'd have to have a way to get it home. I do want a bumper pull hitch though. I have the receiver already, but I know that there are going to be times when a GN trailer isn't what is available.

I've been looking at used dump trailers. GN used trailers are almost non-existent whereas bumper pulls are a dime a dozen. I'd rather have the GN... but a used BP would be fine for the right price.

/ Pintle hitch (GenY Hitch) #4  
I don't have a pintle trailer, at the moment.

What made me think about it was a Government Liquidation generator on a trailer. The trailer had a pintle hitch, and I began thinking that if I wanted to bid on it, I'd have to have a way to get it home. I do want a bumper pull hitch though. I have the receiver already, but I know that there are going to be times when a GN trailer isn't what is available.

I've been looking at used dump trailers. GN used trailers are almost non-existent whereas bumper pulls are a dime a dozen. I'd rather have the GN... but a used BP would be fine for the right price.

I gotcha. Just sold my m1102 pintle trailer. Only thing I would recommend is if you buy a hitch, make sure you can turn it upside down from traditional for the mil spec trailers. The one you were looking at should be good to go. In order for the trailer to ride level on my lifter f250 (5" in the rear) I had to flip the hitch over and raise it about 5" over the bumper I think. These trailers are setup for tall vehicles!

Brett