pine trees

/ pine trees #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
when we built here(1986), like a dummy, i planted pine trees all over the place: i now consider pine trees to be big weeds: i have already cut an burned a lot of them, but am now in the process of cutting over 35 that i planted down the driveway: since i paved the drive a few years ago, the roots are tearing it up: an i would much rather have the paved drive than the pines: i have advertised these trees for a couple years, trying to get someone, anyone, to cut an haul them away: with no luck: the best i have come up with so far, is if i cut-em and cut the limbs off, a guy with a chipper mill, will haul them away.
so far i have cut 9, de-limbed 4: a long way to go, but i figure if i do a few every day or so, i'll eventually get rid of this mess.
heehaw

/ pine trees #2  
I feel your pain. I used to love pine trees, but now they are just weeds that drop needles all over the place.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ pine trees
nothing wrong with the trees: i did do a little checking an i could haul them to a mill an get $35 per ton: do you know how many trees it takes to make a ton: an how much work you have to put in to load an haul them for $35. i've even stopped pulp wood trucks, loaded with pines that are a lot smaller than what i have, an they say they only cut on company land: so basicly the timber co is paying them to thin their trees:
heehaw

/ pine trees #6  
Pines have their place. We reforested 4 acres back in 1989 or 1990 with alternating rows of pines and mixed hardwoods. 2000 trees on that 4 acres. The rows of pines grow fast and conical which makes the hardwoods in the rows between them grow tall and straight reaching for the sunlight between the rows of pines. The pines are pushing 35 feet this year and many of the hardwoods are now reaching out over the tops of the pines. The pines are over a foot in diameter at the base and about 8 inches 5' up. The hardwoods are smaller in diameter, but very straight. They will be good for veneer or furniture lumber in about 20-30 more years.

We had the state forester recommend a planting plan for us suited to our climate, soil types, soil moisture, etc... I think the mistake people make is planting trees that they like rather than trees that will do well for them.

/ pine trees
had a friend that planted black walnut trees, 30 years ago, i doubt he will ever see anything from it, but his kids will/should: my pines are loblolly, maybe "improved" loblolly: they aren't good for lumber, if you cut a 2x4 out of loblolly, lay it in the sun, it will tie itself in a bow knot. i planted them because they were free: sure regret it now: they are 45ft tall
heehaw

/ pine trees #8  
Strange, Loblolly Pine is the most important and widely cultivated timber species in the southern United States and over half of the Yellow Pine lumber we have is from Loblolly Pine.

By the way, I'm bringing my horses up north of Russellville next week to do some trail riding. I hope the rain has stopped by then and it has cooled down some.

/ pine trees #9  
Pines have their place. We reforested 4 acres back in 1989 or 1990 with alternating rows of pines and mixed hardwoods. 2000 trees on that 4 acres. The rows of pines grow fast and conical which makes the hardwoods in the rows between them grow tall and straight reaching for the sunlight between the rows of pines. The pines are pushing 35 feet this year and many of the hardwoods are now reaching out over the tops of the pines. The pines are over a foot in diameter at the base and about 8 inches 5' up. The hardwoods are smaller in diameter, but very straight. They will be good for veneer or furniture lumber in about 20-30 more years.

We had the state forester recommend a planting plan for us suited to our climate, soil types, soil moisture, etc... I think the mistake people make is planting trees that they like rather than trees that will do well for them.

Are you mowing around these stinky pine trees? I have two hundred I mow around. I have to scrape pine tar off my tractor when I get done mowing. In the spring the rosin will choke me to death and I'm not allergic to anything. I didn't plant the darn things. They came with the place. I consider a pine tree a weed also. They have no roots and they will fall over and die if a sparrow lands on the wrong side. I would never plant one.

/ pine trees #10  
Strange, Loblolly Pine is the most important and widely cultivated timber species in the southern United States and over half of the Yellow Pine lumber we have is from Loblolly Pine.

By the way, I'm bringing my horses up north of Russellville next week to do some trail riding. I hope the rain has stopped by then and it has cooled down some.
Yes, loblolly pine in these parts have been the number one source of saw timber for many years. They also have some of the best straw for mulch also.

They grow slow, so nobody much plants them anymore.

Inever thought of loblolly as a weed, but many of the other pine species sure are like week around here, esp along a field edge or property edge.