Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos
A few more found while out hiking. No innocent or healthy trees were harmed during these shoots. :LOL:
pil622.jpg
pil0624.jpg

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #73  
Man I hated these birds when I was hunting, sounded like they were framing a house all day! 😂. They are awesome to see though and I do get them at my feeder pretty regularly. They like the suet cakes and the peanuts in the seed blend I buy.

IMG_2127.jpeg

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #75  
Unfortunately in April of each year here in central KY they start drilling on whatever they can find. Is it a mating activity? I don't know, but it's not uncommon for them to drill on the roof of my house, and that's a big no-no. I leave them alone as long as they leave my house alone.

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos
Unfortunately in April of each year here in central KY they start drilling on whatever they can find. Is it a mating activity? I don't know, but it's not uncommon for them to drill on the roof of my house, and that's a big no-no. I leave them alone as long as they leave my house alone.
They mate for live but drum on things that have good resonance to sound there territory. Its not destructive and I know some use aluminum ladders that were left up. Makes for good drumming.