PIG POOP?

/ PIG POOP? #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
First off let me state that where i live I got some good horse poop years ago and spread it thinly over some fill dirt. I have the best growing lawn there.. yep plenty of weeds but I'm just looking to make it green...
I have a chance now to get a truckload of Pig Manure.(well seasoned).The price seems reasonable(delivered also).My question is is it OK for a garden? and the garden is just going to be 'new'' I plan to put down a layer of the poop followed with a top coat of Loam and it will remain till spring 2012.Then I will till it all together.:licking:
Years ago we had some pig poop and used it in the garden with no problems but id like anyone input. thanks.

/ PIG POOP? #2  
Sounds Like you got a plan! :thumbsup:
Some where in my old collage ag books there is a chart showing the worth and chemical value of all the major poop. and I remember that pig was somewhere at the top!

/ PIG POOP? #3  
should be fine. Pig poop is the smelliest of poop from animals. Sheep poop is the best

/ PIG POOP? #5  
Pig manure is good stuff. Best to make sure it is well composted before applying to a garden. Proper composting reaches high enough temps to kill off most of any pathogens and weed seeds that may be present. Since you are covering it with soil and leaving it lay for the summer, I think it will be fine as is, but you may get more benefit from it by composting it and using it for side dressing when you have growing plants. Or use it to force a good crop of green manure this year.

Nothing like the slow and steady 'push' natural fertilizers provide.

Dave.

/ PIG POOP? #6  
When I was a kid, we had a milk cow, a horse, lots of chickens, and I raised registered Berkshire hogs. Needless to say, my dad never bought any commercial fertilizer.:laughing:

/ PIG POOP? #7  
Years ago when I raced sports cars the kids always knew when we were about 2 miles from Watkins Glen. There was a pig farm the the odor would overwhelm everyone in the car.

/ PIG POOP? #8  
There are some large piggeries that steam treat the pig poop and bag it up as fertilizer. The treatment removes all odor. They market the results as "no pong" fertilizer :laughing:

/ PIG POOP? #10  
I remember my dad once had pig manure spread on our lawn. He was trying for really green grass, I suppose. On the other hand, dad was pretty well known for not giving a cra9 what the neighbors thought, and I remember many of the neighbors sure didn't think much of his fertilizer.

Chuck