Pictures how I touch up the paint after adding bucket hooks.

/ Pictures how I touch up the paint after adding bucket hooks. #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Here's my way to touch up the paint after the grinding and addition of bucket hooks. These are on a Kubota and I had a shop weld them on for me. The welds look way better in person, without paint and no 5X magnification.

Since I like a support plate welded to the bucket and then the hook welded to that, I try to find a way to put the plate to leave "shadow lines" that make it easier to do the touch up. Here are some before pics.

IMG_6817.JPG IMG_6818.JPG IMG_6819.JPG

I had the plate made to go almost to one edge of the Kubota support and then almost to the bottom. The "almost" is to leave a space to weld to and a line for the tape when I paint. The small overgrinds I touch up with a small paintbrush so as have zero overspray.

Here's how I put some of the tape and this is when I was removing it.

IMG_6834.JPG IMG_6835.JPG IMG_6833.JPG

IMG_6843.JPG IMG_6845.JPG IMG_6839.JPG

Something you don't want is a line like this where you can see where the paint line is. It's OK but I wish it wasn't there. Look below.

IMG_6840.JPG

Below is where I touched up an overgrind by using a small brush and some paint sprayed in the cap of the spray can. You touch up after done spraying and just a minimum to make things look acceptable. It will fade in just fine.

IMG_6838.JPG

Anyway, in two weeks when it's all dusty and the sun has evened things out, it all will blend 99% and people will think it came from the factory that way. It looks like it belongs. Hope this helps.

Beats me why this looks this way and why down here but it's a good example of a brush touch up of an overgrind. The sun and shade makes it look way more obvious than it is..

Attachments

• IMG_6836.JPG
    IMG_6836.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 173
   / Pictures how I touch up the paint after adding bucket hooks. #2  
Now you need to wait a day or two before you drag a chain over it. It looks very nice and a lot better than I could do.

/ Pictures how I touch up the paint after adding bucket hooks.
Now you need to wait a day or two before you drag a chain over it. It looks very nice and a lot better than I could do.

How true. Here's a "today" photo of one I did a while back. A little beat up now.

IMG_6813.JPG IMG_6816.JPG

/ Pictures how I touch up the paint after adding bucket hooks.
I waxed where the new paint with a brush went into the old paint and it now blends almost perfect. As mentioned, it won't matter after I drag a chain over it but I like to start fresh.

Another thing is that the Kubota bucket tips way the heck back and the chain would likely fall out of the hooks when bouncing around so I may be forced to build a chain box or something like that. I only use a chain for loading and unloading so I could just leave it in the barn and who knows, this bucket may stay relatively good looking.