Pickup tube for 55 gallon drums

/ Pickup tube for 55 gallon drums #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
I did a thread on the inexpensive diesel fuel pump I purchased.

I needed a little more reach on the hose and the limber pickup hose it came with was a pain so I made a pickup tube for my drums. A 2" pipe thread will screw right in the metal drum hole so I used a 2" NPT thread to slip fit coupling and reduced it with a 2" to 3/4" slip fit reducer. I used a round file to remove the lip in the 3/4" part and to take the taper out so a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe would slide through that part. The outside diameter on 3/4" PVC pipe is a little over 1" so the diesel hose will fit over it. I cut a short piece off the hose to fit the inlet fitting that came with the pump kit to the bottom and set the depth to be a couple of inches off the bottom of the drum. This will work great for topping up my tractor tanks as I use the fuel off. Having the pickup off the bottom will protect from picking up water if I get any condensation. I will periodically check for water by pumping directly off the bottom with a fuel pump I have setup with a metal tube on it. I vented the drums with a filtered air compressor muffler screwed into the 3/4" vent hole in them. Some will argue this will cause condensation to form but I have seen drums distort from expansion and contraction due to weather changes. I prefer to keep the drums vented and I will monitor for water in the fuel.

PU-tube1.jpg

PU-tube2.jpg