Picking the right size tractor?

/ Picking the right size tractor? #1  

Dauntless1971

Tractor
Kioti CX2510
I have a few acres on the side of a hill. I bought a Kioti Cx2510hst two years back thought it was the perfect size and was in stock.
But now I am really disappointed in how it only has one gear/speed about 2 mph on my hilly property.
Starting to think I might need some sort of stick shift tractor.
But not sure if the next size up will fit my property as well. I am working on making a trail around the perimeter. I will attach a few photos.
Not sure if the Kubota B2401 has enough lift for me, but it is at the top of my new list. The Mahindra 26xlt is also a thought along with the geared Kioti Cx2510, though both of those only have 2 speed differentials.
Am I overlooking any other sub compacts with a clutch

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_103832562.jpg
    IMG_20230408_103832562.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20230408_104600235.jpg
    IMG_20230408_104600235.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230408_103824337.jpg
    IMG_20230408_103824337.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20230408_104230412.jpg
    IMG_20230408_104230412.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
   / Picking the right size tractor? #2  
Are you already proficient at operating equipment with a traditional clutch and gear transmission?

Clutch overhauls are $1,400 each in low cost, rural Florida.

Traditional clutch and gear compact tractors have very poor resale value.

Last edited:
   / Picking the right size tractor? #3  
I have a few acres on the side of a hill.

How many acres?

I bought a Kioti Cx2510hst two years back thought it was the perfect size.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR THIS TIME.

T-B-N ARCHIVE:

Looking to buy my first Kioti tractor for my 26 acre farm. The tasks are bush-hogging 20 acres once per year that includes steep hills, tilling my vegetable garden, 1000 foot gravel driveway maintenance, cutting and hauling wood for winter and just general tractor and loader work.

I think the Kioti ck2610 would suit most of my needs except bush hogging.

Compact tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in landscape, kitchen/commercial garden or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.

~~ BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR ~~​

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Bare tractor weight first

Looking to buy my first tractor for my 26 acre farm that includes steep hills.

CK2610 is too light/narrow/unstable for your topography and tractor applications.

Every tractor producer has at least an economy and deluxe model in the 4,000 pound bare weight category, with a 66" width and 40 to 60 horsepower. These are the mid-weights in the compact tractor category and sell in high unit volumes.

Tractors of 3,700 to 4,000 pounds bare weight have the rear wheel/tire spread to be reasonably steady when lifting heavy FEL loads or pulling implements over ground less than perfectly flat and perfectly smooth.

tractor horsepower second

I am assuming I can run a 6ft bush hog and might get away with a 7ft bush hog.

Mowing once per year you will need a heavy duty Rotary Cutter weighing 1,100 to 1,500 pounds and at least 50 engine horsepower to spin it cutting 5' to 7' tall grass and a year's production of brush.

If contemplating a cab tractor, 60 engine horsepower would be better. The cab weighs ~ 700 pounds ~ and the air conditioning requires several horsepower.

rear axle width third

Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped ground. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. A 6" to 10" increase in rear axle width substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is an approximation of rear axle width.

Small tractor wheels drop into holes, disrupting traction. Larger wheels and tires supplied on heavier tractors bridge holes and ruts, increasing traction. Larger wheels and tires permit higher operating speed over uneven ground by reducing implement bounce and operator perturbation.

rear wheel/tire ballast fourth

To apply 60-horsepower to the ground with an open station tractor you will probably want rear tires filled 50% or 75% with liquid to lower tractor center-of-gravity and bolt-on wheel weights.

If you are considering a cab tractor the cab weight substitutes for wheel weights.

Tasks include hauling wood for winter and just general tractor and loader work.

With this ballast on the rear wheels of an open station tractor you will be able to lift 65% (+/-) of Loader capacity without a Three Point Hitch implement mounted.

Last edited:
   / Picking the right size tractor?
Are you already proficient at operating motorized equipment with a traditional clutch and gear transmission?

Clutch overhauls are $1,400 each in low cost, rural Florida.

Traditional clutch and gear tractors generally have very poor resale value.

Sure still driving a 6sp diesel truck, other than my knees are reaching retirement age.

/ Picking the right size tractor? #5  
The 2 speed hydro isn’t optimal but the lack of power is your real shortcoming. Don’t go buy another underpowered tractor.

/ Picking the right size tractor? #6  
Traditional clutch and gear tractors have very poor resale value. Jeff9366
except for Utility M series :)

OP: why are you looking at a sub compact on hilly terrain? imho you are limiting yourself with a sub compact when you say your current one isn't up to the job.
Also, the dealership parking lot is a poor way to get a feel of tractor capabilities. maybe look at some of the lower hp MX series models for power & stability.

when dissatisfied w/current tractor, many think they can jump up to the next size model to solve their problem... usually doesn't pan out & very expensive. been there myself.

/ Picking the right size tractor? #7  
Sounds like the op got caught up in the “no emissions for me “ bullshit propaganda spread by many here. It takes power to do work, especially in hilly terrain. Step up and buy the equipment with the power it takes to do the work you need to accomplish.

You’re making a mistake if your 25 hp tractor doesn’t have enough power and you then proceed to buy another 25hp tractor, just in a different shade of Orange.

Don’t waste your money on a manual transmission tractor either. You’ll take a bath at resale time, and hate it for loader or fork work.