Picked up a GC2300 fixer-upper. :D :D

/ Picked up a GC2300 fixer-upper. :D :D #1  

eCRX

Bronze Member
Tractor
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300, 2015 Cub Cadet XT2
Picked up a 2300 with 153 hours. Spent a lot of time in direct sunlight as you can see. has a curtis cab.

Will be using it for a lot of dirt work over the next couple of years, after that, primarily snow removal and general use.

previous owner didn't care too much about keeping it looking pretty. For me, it's hard to maintain something that looks like it's not worth maintaining, so i want to give it a once-over.

Seems to have all the common issues:
- leaking FEL controls (fixed this for the previous owner 2 years ago. the issue recently returned)
- Loose steering wheel
- Broken muffler pipe

Some additional issues:
- needs to be painted. The cab is also rusty in some spots. Had a hard time convincing my wife that i wasn't getting ripped off, my 2 year old thinks otherwise.
- one of the hoses are leaking, most looked cracked.
- just finished installing a group 51 batt (i love this forum...)
- going to the dealer tomorrow to order a new headlight assembly and see how much new decals will set me back.
- turf tires have decent tread, but really bad weather cracking. will switch to siped R4s when\if I destroy a tire.
- makes quiet relay-clicking sounds when ignition power is on, was going to start a new thread on this when I get some audio of it.

Also, when i take my foot off of the pedal it doesn't return back to zero speed, it gets close, but continues to go fwd or rev. I assume this is not normal, and something needs to be adjusted or lubricated?

Paul.

20220612_213005.jpg

/ Picked up a GC2300 fixer-upper. :D :D #2  
Seems to have a lot of little issues for only 153 hours. I'm assuming you got an appropriate deal considering the appearance and misc. troubles. With such few hours you can make a really nice tractor out of this for far less total cost than others comparable. Good project and should be a reliable machine for many years. Good for you!

/ Picked up a GC2300 fixer-upper. :D :D #3  
Hope you're happy with the purchase. Although new to you, it's still a 15-18 year old tractor. Be sure of the vitals before spending money on cosmetics.
It is due for a complete fluid/filter change. Transmission, Engine and front axle. I buy all the OEM filters from the dealer, but wouldn't touch Massey/Agco fluids. For the amount used in a SCUT even Amsoil isn't prohibitively expensive. Hot summers and cold winters, full synthetics are best. I've been running 0W40 since its first oil change.

The light assembly is useless to replace. With the FEL on, it almost completely blocks them. Better to add extra LEDs to the cab. Expanded metal replaces a broken lens pretty easily.
The quality of the spool O rings on the FEL controller make a difference. Steering wheel and muffler bracket is a wear item, happens to all of them. The bushings for the steering wheel are not cheap. My muffler has been welded a couple times, never replaced.

-Touch up rust spots, but other than than, waxing would be more beneficial. Decals are getting brittle with age, if you pressure wash, they will come off.
-FEL hoses are pretty easy to replace, any hydraulic shop will be able to do it better then the OEM hoses. Replace in pairs, saves time a month or two later.
-Try to keep the turfs for winter. My tires are still original, heavily weather checked, leaking air, but tubes have added years of life to them.
-The clicking a relay or fuel pump?
-Keep the treadle control greased, it will help, but not get rid of it completely. Trying to, is a waste of time. Either shut down the tractor when getting off, or lower the 3pt of FEL to stop any creeping.

Just basic service and repairs at this point will be the better part of $1K. Cosmetic repairs may be nice, but are a luxury that does have a high price. If, you can get the parts.
In the photo, 3 point hitch is empty. If using the FEL, get some weight on it. There is a huge difference in wear on the tractor and safety using it without the extra counter-weight.

/ Picked up a GC2300 fixer-upper. :D :D #4  
If the 2300 like the 2400 there is a bearing on the side of the frame that supports the directional input shaft going into transaxle.
That bearing can be worn and cause pedal stick also.

/ Picked up a GC2300 fixer-upper. :D :D #5  
parts book shows as a bushing there, item 5

2300_1.PNG

has alternate part # now

2300_2.PNG

/ Picked up a GC2300 fixer-upper. :D :D
Thanks for the replies and suggestions! I've already read each one 2x!

JWR, I got the tractor from a family friend for less than I paid for my CC XT2 in 2015. :D I was thinking the same thing, a lot of issues for suhc low hours. I think the age of the tractor and the easy going attitude of the previous owner has a lot to do with it. broken muffler, headlights, and leaking lines, leaving it out in the elements - not big deal to some people. If it ain't broke..

We believe the vitals are good. I had my brother-in-law, who owns some construction equipment and a kubota B look it over. Just like DWM described, it has low milage, but it's still an old tractor.

Forgot to mention that I will be getting all new filters from the dealer. DWM, I'm also from southern Ontario so I'll go with a 0w40 full synthetic high performance oil - I wont put dyno oil in anything I own anymore after watching some 'project farm' videos, especially not in something that will need to start on the coldest days of the year. That's a very good point about the headlights. They're broken probably because they're in a bad spot. I think i'll skip the assembly and save on filters etc for now and see if i can fab something up. I'm a big fan of appropriately placed LEDs. When I replaced the o-ring years ago it was not impressed with the quality of the factory replacement, it's almost as if it was passed the best-before date, it didn't feel durable, but probably sat in a warehouse for a decade.

Dave, I'll have a closer look at that. I have a lathe so I'll probably make my own bushings out of UHMW plastic if I'm feeling ambitious. Will give the steering wheel issue the same custom treatment. Does your machine completely stop with your foot off the pedal? DWM, sounds like it's a quirk of this machine that you've learned to live with?

/ Picked up a GC2300 fixer-upper. :D :D #7  

JWR, I got the tractor from a family friend for less than I paid for my CC XT2 in 2015. :D I was thinking the same thing, a lot of issues for suhc low hours. I think the age of the tractor and the easy going attitude of the previous owner has a lot to do with it. broken muffler, headlights, and leaking lines, leaving it out in the elements - not big deal to some people. If it ain't broke..

We believe the vitals are good. I had my brother-in-law, who owns some construction equipment and a kubota B look it over. Just like DWM described, it has low milage, but it's still an old tractor.

Forgot to mention that I will be getting all new filters from the dealer. DWM, I'm also from southern Ontario so I'll go with a 0w40 full synthetic high performance oil - I wont put dyno oil in anything I own anymore after watching some 'project farm' videos, especially not in something that will need to start on the coldest days of the year. That's a very good point about the headlights. They're broken probably because they're in a bad spot. I think i'll skip the assembly and save on filters etc for now and see if i can fab something up. I'm a big fan of appropriately placed LEDs. When I replaced the o-ring years ago it was not impressed with the quality of the factory replacement, it's almost as if it was passed the best-before date, it didn't feel durable, but probably sat in a warehouse for a decade.

Dave, I'll have a closer look at that. I have a lathe so I'll probably make my own bushings out of UHMW plastic if I'm feeling ambitious. Will give the steering wheel issue the same custom treatment. Does your machine completely stop with your foot off the pedal? DWM, sounds like it's a quirk of this machine that you've learned to live with?

Not much help, but my 1710 never returned to stop after a year old or so, everything was greased and free, I just did it manually.

/ Picked up a GC2300 fixer-upper. :D :D #8  

mine ALMOST returned to stop after replacing that (on my GC2400) BEARING (actual bearing and mine was missing balls) as well as replacing the return spring (was stretched out badly) and removing pedals and cleaning out the bushings there.
but the BIGGEST gain (mine now return fully 95% the time) I got was replacing the oil dampener (it acts like shock absorber and was sticking.
on the GC2300 its part # 4260102M91 and is approx 150$
item 38

2300_3.PNG

after 12 years (mines a 2010 model) things wore out a bit.

/ Picked up a GC2300 fixer-upper. :D :D #9  
The pedal not returning to neutral is annoying, but learned to live with it. It didn't seem like throwing parts at it would resolve the issue, as it has been happening since new.

Also check the rad hoses. Vibration will wear through the hose. Upper hose on the air filter hosing, lower hose on the throttle linkage. My 2005 GC2300 had both replaced under warranty. Added buffer material to reduce the wear, but is now ready for a 2nd replacement.

Attachments

• lower rad hose leak.JPG
    lower rad hose leak.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 339
  • gcc.jpg
    gcc.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 162

Added 45 adpters to the curl cylinder hoses to reduce bending at the fitting. They were the first hoses to go.

Attachments

• Loader hose.JPG
    Loader hose.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 205

/ Picked up a GC2300 fixer-upper. :D :D #10  
Other big question, have you got a skid plate to protect the hydro filter? If you have a welder, easy to fabricate yourself, if you don't use the mid mount mower.

Attachments

• Plate1.jpg
    Plate1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 170
  • Plate3.jpg
    Plate3.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Plate4.jpg
    Plate4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
  • Plate6.jpg
    Plate6.jpg