Photos. How Do you save them FOREVER?

/ Photos. How Do you save them FOREVER? #31  
I download my pictures to this computer. I then backup to a DVD. I have an external DVD read/write instrument. It is connected to this computer by USB cable - but only when I want to search the DVD or load more pics on the DVD. I also have an external recording/storage device that automatically updates all on this computer - every hour. I know I could go "beyond" this method but the added cost just isn't worth it to me.

If you store pictures on todays electronic devices - backward compatibility is and alway will be a challenge. I have scanned & saved old pictures from days in AK. They are now JPEG's on a DVD. Fortunately there are companies that can take my DVD's and, if necessary, make them compatible with newer operating systems. Best Buy comes to mind immediately. However, there are commercial companies whose major product is backward compatibility.

For me - a picture properly recorded on a DVD is about the best I can do.

Last edited:
   / Photos. How Do you save them FOREVER? #32  
I just save them to TBN

/ Photos. How Do you save them FOREVER?
You need to start an applicable thread for every picture. Some may protest.

Reminds me of how people used to dread their friends hauling out the old super 8 projector or slide proector to show the latest of the kids.

Funny, how that doesn't apply to tractors.

/ Photos. How Do you save them FOREVER? #37  
Well - pshaw. My iPhone + this computer. Exactly 457 photos. 173 are wildflowers found on my property.

/ Photos. How Do you save them FOREVER? #38  
   / Photos. How Do you save them FOREVER? #39  
JPG format has been around for decades. Adobe has a pretty standard format as well for RAW photos. If you really want them to stand up, I would save a few different versions..one compressed and one RAW. I doubt in 50 years you will have an issue opening them. The bigger issue is backups. I keep all of mine backed up in 2 separate places. One on the computer, on on a hard drive connected to the computer, and one in the cloud (private server).

In fifty years, YOU will be the computer!