Personal Weather stations

/ Personal Weather stations #1  

sodamo

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H (Mine) BX2380 (wife’s)
Was wondering how many here have their own weather station? Data available online?

I have a Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 with the WeatherlinkIP. Kinda a birthday present to myself last year. Wish I had gotten it years ago. Several of my local friends have a unit installed and we compare, especially rainfall.

I can view live/historical data Weatherlink Click on "Map" and you might find a station close to you.

or at Wunderground

BUT, what both dear wife and I really enjoy is "There's an app for that" we get to check it on our iphones at the touch of an icon.
A couple of friends even monitor our station regularly.

App Link

What else is out there? Do you find it useful? Any feature in particular? Any special sensors?

I confess to NOT using my tractor at all to install :(

/ Personal Weather stations #2  
I have the same exact station, but mine is not connected to the net. Kinda wish I had paid extra for it. It has been amazingly bulletproof for the past two years. It has seen temps from 108 down to 8 and aside from cleaning some moss and bird crap out I have had to do nothing to it.

/ Personal Weather stations #3  
I've had the Vantage Pro2 for about a year and a half now and have been very happy with it.

I have it connected to an older computer for logging the data, but don't connect that computer to the Internet so I don't have to worry about all the virus updates, etc.

/ Personal Weather stations #4  
I've had the same weather station for a few years, after going through several cheap versions. I use Weather Display - the Weather Station software , but build my own Web Page, which you can see here Lawson Hill Farm. I wanted to track wind currents in hopes of using a windmill for powering a pond aerator.

Don't have enough wind, but love having rain data, since the nearest reporting station is 12 miles as the crow flies.

The picture is from a security camera and years ago showed the view of a large lake at the bottom of our hill. I need to open it up again.

The weather-display software is amazing stuff and gets better all the time. You don't need to be connected to the Internet to get all the neat graphs and data.

/ Personal Weather stations #5  
I've always wanted a hi-tech station but for time being I'll have to settle for what Pistol Pete tells me is in his rain gauge. But I sure need to get rid of those gawd awful red numbers that's on that replacement pyrex tube.:laughing::laughing:

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 136
   / Personal Weather stations #6  
I have been wanting the Davis Vantage Pro2 for quite a few years now. But the money gets reallocated for something else.

I would hook it up to the weatherunderground.com website. Besides the rain gage and wind sensor the soil moisture sensor would be nice to have in the garden. :thumbsup:

Since we don't have the weather station I use the Weather Underground to check local stations. What is very interesting is how much the temperature, rain, and wind speed can differ amount the different weather stations even though they are all within 5-10 miles of each other.

For now we use the rain gauge my kid got at school. :D

It works. It was cheap aka free. :thumbsup::laughing:

Really want the historical records of the weather for my house.....

Later,
Dan

/ Personal Weather stations #7  
for a graphic display that works with many different stations check out

(cheaper version of what 'lhfarm' linked to...)

Weather Display Live

/ Personal Weather stations #8  
Hard to go wrong with the Davis units.

We have a weather monitor II (?) and its been great. Someday i plan on getting the adapter to hook it to the computer.

If i had it to do over id get a wireless vantage though. Hacing the ability to move the base station around (like closer to the couch) would be nice and running wires thru a hot attic during install isnt fun on the best day:thumbsup:

/ Personal Weather stations #9  
What is very interesting is how much the temperature, rain, and wind speed can differ amount the different weather stations even though they are all within 5-10 miles of each other.

Some of it may be due to where the sensor is located. Some may be in the shade or near a blacktop driveway, etc. Of course wind speed is affected by open ridgetop vs. tree covered valley. Not everyone has a choice in location.

Some evenings coming home, I've seen a 4-5 degree difference between the bottom of our driveway and the top.

But yes, it is surprising the variations.

/ Personal Weather stations #10  
I have the Davis vantage pro too.Too cheap tp spend the extra$ on data logger.I call my stations info to the locale tv station.Need to get my anamometer down to clean it,must be syder web,needs to blow over 9mph to start to turn.It's mounted at 33ft. so not a quick or easy job:laughing:Dave