Perkins 1104D-44T info

/ Perkins 1104D-44T info #1  

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
MF 2660 LP, 3 Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.
I bought a MF2660 in early 2011 equipped with a Perkins 1104D-44T engine. The engine has been very trouble-free.

What I cannot find is thorough information about the engine.

I find it amazing what is NOT easily found on the web, NOT in the Service manual which I bought for over $200, Not in the sales brochure current at time of sale, etc. This is long-term tech information I want to have as I intend to keep the tractor forever, have discussions with other users about it, converse intelligently with others, etc.

This info SHOULD be available on-line, SHOULD have been available in my users manual and/or extra cost Service Manual, etc.

Ideally I would like to have a technical info document on the engine as MF gets it from Perkins.

Example questions:

1) Is there a priming pump ? The manuals say YES, the dealer says NO because it has an electric fuel pump. Which is it ? If there is one , where is it? I can't find one.
2) What kind of injection system is used -- common rail or direct injection ? I see Perkins websites saying it is direct injection AND I see these engines for sale claiming they are common rail. Some of the photos LOOK like common rail to me.
3) Are the cylinders sleeved ? If so are they wet or dry ?
4) What does MF/AGCO say about Winterization? Mixing #1 and #2 fuel at lower temps, additives, etc.

Again, I am not looking for just an answer to these 4 questions (though I am certainly interested to see those answered) , I am looking for better reference material on the engine.

Does it exist (surely so) and where can I find it ?

/ Perkins 1104D-44T info #2  
I bought a MF2660 in early 2011 equipped with a Perkins 1104D-44T engine. The engine has been very trouble-free.

What I cannot find is thorough information about the engine.

I find it amazing what is NOT easily found on the web, NOT in the Service manual which I bought for over $200, Not in the sales brochure current at time of sale, etc. This is long-term tech information I want to have as I intend to keep the tractor forever, have discussions with other users about it, converse intelligently with others, etc.

This info SHOULD be available on-line, SHOULD have been available in my users manual and/or extra cost Service Manual, etc.

Ideally I would like to have a technical info document on the engine as MF gets it from Perkins.

Example questions:

1) Is there a priming pump ? The manuals say YES, the dealer says NO because it has an electric fuel pump. Which is it ? If there is one , where is it? I can't find one.
2) What kind of injection system is used -- common rail or direct injection ? I see Perkins websites saying it is direct injection AND I see these engines for sale claiming they are common rail. Some of the photos LOOK like common rail to me.
3) Are the cylinders sleeved ? If so are they wet or dry ?
4) What does MF/AGCO say about Winterization? Mixing #1 and #2 fuel at lower temps, additives, etc.

Again, I am not looking for just an answer to these 4 questions (though I am certainly interested to see those answered) , I am looking for better reference material on the engine.

Does it exist (surely so) and where can I find it ?
Electric fuel pump is mounted on top of the fuel filter housing. Direct injection, but new tier IV stuff is probably common rail with DOC or DEF or some nonsense. And I'm pretty sure it's dry sleeved.

Keep an eye on your oil, because the water pump is timing gear driven.

/ Perkins 1104D-44T info #3  
Every 1100 series "phaser" engine service manual I've ever seen has that info.. Jimmy is correct.. HE WORKS at a MF dealer.

/ Perkins 1104D-44T info
Every 1100 series "phaser" engine service manual I've ever seen has that info.. Jimmy is correct.. HE WORKS at a MF dealer.

Well, I have a 5 inch thick MF2660 service manual that cost over $200 and of course the owner's manual. Neither of those answers any of the questions I posted. I do not own or have access to an 1100 series engine service manual. That's partly why I posted these questions but notice I also asked if there is a better reference on the engine. So far I hear none but the engine factory service manual, right ?

Jimmy was clear that it is a Direct Injection motor and where the fuel pump is located. I did not hear certainty on any of the other questions. And nothing on a good reference source that might save me pestering other people. I appreciate his time on what he did say.

/ Perkins 1104D-44T info #5  
Well, I have a 5 inch thick MF2660 service manual that cost over $200 and of course the owner's manual. Neither of those answers any of the questions I posted. I do not own or have access to an 1100 series engine service manual. That's partly why I posted these questions but notice I also asked if there is a better reference on the engine. So far I hear none but the engine factory service manual, right ?

Jimmy was clear that it is a Direct Injection motor and where the fuel pump is located. I did not hear certainty on any of the other questions. And nothing on a good reference source that might save me pestering other people. I appreciate his time on what he did say.
You can order the engine book from your local Massey dealer or Perkins distributor. Maybe even through a commercial generator shop. I have no idea about fuel winterization because it doesn't usually get that cold here.

/ Perkins 1104D-44T info #6  
I don't have the engine manual # or I'd post it.. sorry.

/ Perkins 1104D-44T info
That's OK, appreciate the info. I thought sure there would be reference material on the web but apparently not.

/ Perkins 1104D-44T info #8  
I have a PDF service manual for the the 1104 somewhere if you need one, can't remember if it's a C or D, lift pump is electric and in the filter housing as mentioned, if you don't have a Ecm on your engine it's Direct injected Mechanical Pump, not common Rail. No Sleeves on that unit, Parent bore Block. Fuel grade is same as any other diesel, if temps outside get cold enough for fuel to gel, switch grade. Not really a question Massey can answer.

/ Perkins 1104D-44T info
I have a PDF service manual for the the 1104 somewhere if you need one, can't remember if it's a C or D, lift pump is electric and in the filter housing as mentioned, if you don't have a Ecm on your engine it's Direct injected Mechanical Pump, not common Rail. No Sleeves on that unit, Parent bore Block. Fuel grade is same as any other diesel, if temps outside get cold enough for fuel to gel, switch grade. Not really a question Massey can answer.

Good info. Appreciate that. Surprises me that the info you just stated above cannot be found on the web (or at least I spent a good bit of time and could not find it.) I cannot claim that I am in dire need of the 1104 service manual (just trying to be more knowledgeable on what I own) but if you have it in PDF form I would love to have a copy. If you get time to locate the PDF copy, please send it to billrymer@IEEE.ORG. I can handle fairly large email attachments.

Tks.

/ Perkins 1104D-44T info #10  
I have a buddy looking up the shop rebuild manual P#..