Periodic Service: Adjusting the valves

/ Periodic Service: Adjusting the valves #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Looking into the Operator's Manual, I see that it is coming up on time to check the valve adjustment on the family Kubota.
There's no hint of malfunction, so I suppose we could just ignore it for a few more years, but these are nice engines and no point in not at least checking to see that the clearances are in the ballpark.

I'm actually looking forward to doing the job. Over the years in our tractor/bike/automotive work we must have checked valves on hundreds of engines, but this will be my first Kubota.

Others must have checked the valves on theirs. What did you find? Are there any special tricks to know?
Thanks,
rScotty

/ Periodic Service: Adjusting the valves #2  
Mine on my L5030 were really close to spec according to my dealer, my brother will do them on my 5740, so I'll be curious to see how it works out for you.

/ Periodic Service: Adjusting the valves #3  
I asked my service manager about it a year ago and he said he'd never seen one out of spec. He be happy to do it, but didn't think it was a good use of my money.

/ Periodic Service: Adjusting the valves #4  
After disassembly/re-assembly of the V2403 engine in my L5240, valves were still almost perfect with 850hrs. I could not believe it. Seemed like the New head gasket alone would have been enough to throw things off. We were careful to place the tappets & pushrods back in their original locations. I think 3 out of 8 needed attention.

Last edited: