Performance exhaust systems for tractors

/ Performance exhaust systems for tractors #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
I was going through some old Farm Show copies recently and saw a guy that sold performance exhaust systems for the old Ford N tractors (The company might have been "N Complete" if I remember right). It claimed a 30% increase with a new manifold, pipes and muffler kit.
Well, this got me to thinking, almost every type of engine I've ever been around responded favorably to tuned exhaust modifications and the aftermarket is flooded with them for every conceivable type of engine/vehicle....except tractors (at least to my knowledge).
Anyone ever built their own performance oriented manifold, put bigger pipes or a Thrush Glasspack ;) on their tractor to get a little more giddy-up out of their old girl? Or, anyone know of any aftermarket companies that offer anything like this, other than the one previously mentioned?

Is their any reason why exhaust mods arent beneficial to utility type diesel applications?

/ Performance exhaust systems for tractors #2  
It's been my experience that peceived gains in performance are accompaied by definite declines in reliability. :)
For example, is the drive train up to the task of harnesing more power?
I leave my trust in the engineers who designed my machine. If it's not up to the task at hand then I have the wrong machine.

/ Performance exhaust systems for tractors #3  
What TIG said is a good thought. However, if researched, you might find that some of the tractors from Japan use the same driveline for several HP models. My Iseki TA207 is the same running gears as three more powerful models. I have a friend that put a staight pipe on his. It really wasn't that loud at certain rpms. I never heard if he could tell any difference in power.

/ Performance exhaust systems for tractors
I have to agree with Reed on this. Many manufacturers build several tractor models on the same basic platform and offer models with different engine displacements or turbos being the variable.
Yes, you can overpower ANY design but exhaust modifications generally net modest gains ( the 30% Ford N mod sounds very optimistic for a manifold and pipe but I would take it if possible to achieve). Typically on most 2 and 4 stroke gas and diesel vehicle engines, this type of modification is worth about 5%, and 10%or more being the exception. On most vehicles, this type of modification or even performance chips (now being offered for AG tractors) generally does not void factory warranties, which indicates to me that most machines are designed to withstand small performance upgrades. I have modified a number of engines through the years with performance exhaust systems and have always seen real world gains and I have never had any ill effect to clutches, transmission or rear ends.

I honestly believe a 30 hp tractor that would not handle 33hp would be a unit that would likely have common drivetrain issues when subjected to full throttle everyday use anyway. Tractors are designed to run for thousands of hours rated at full throttle, subjected to heavy loads and use. I don't think a modest gain in power is going to damage most dependable tractors.

/ Performance exhaust systems for tractors #5  
Unless the stock design is totally wrong you're only going to see exhaust related performance gains at high rpms. I highly doubt there is much potential in an engine that only turns approximately 2500 rpms. 30% improvement from a "N" tractor? No way.

/ Performance exhaust systems for tractors #6  
A few years ago, I replaced the exhaust on my 1954 Ford NAA. This is a 4 cylider gas engine tractor. It has a muffler mounted horizontally under the hood metal above the manifold, a wide, sweeping turn back, and then a long tail pipe to the rear. I think anyone who has an NAA, 600, 800 series Ford knows that the mufflers don't last all that long as they tend to rust out due to moisture in the muffler.

I replaced the muffler with a straight "cheater" pipe from the manifold elbow to the rest of the exhaust. I now have no muffler but just a straight pipe from the manifold elbow to the rear of the tractor. I didn't notice much difference in power but did notice that the engine ran consistently cooler, probably due to less back pressure and less heat retention near the engine formerly due to the muffler. Sound changed a little. Louder, but not enough to bother me. If I can find a pic. I'll post it.

You'll also notice that a lot of Ford owners get rid of the horizontal muffler on these models and run a straight up vertical pipe from the manifold elbow, usually with a vertical muffler.

In a modern diesel tractor, I don't know if there would be much benefit. I have a Kubota L4400 and it would probably be more hassle than its worth to try to figure out a straight pipe or something else to hopefully gain little performance.

My 2 cents.

/ Performance exhaust systems for tractors #7  
When I was a teenager, we would run the old Farmalls. My dad would usually buy one and fix it up. When we would get the tractor, it would usually not even have a muffler on it, just a pipe out the hood. I could tell no difference in the performance of these tractors with or without the muffler, they just sounded better without it.

/ Performance exhaust systems for tractors #8  
Kernopelli,
I'm having an after market straight pipe put on my baby Kubota and the chrome shop guys told me I will have a 10 percent increase in horsepower. Not sure how this is measured but I am all about the louder sound. (Is louder a word ?) Hope to have it done by the end of this week and post some photos. Good luck.

MissouriThunder

/ Performance exhaust systems for tractors #9  
Unless the stock design is totally wrong you're only going to see exhaust related performance gains at high rpms. I highly doubt there is much potential in an engine that only turns approximately 2500 rpms. 30% improvement from a "N" tractor? No way.

I agree with this, I'n a low rpm tractor engine you prolly won't notice anything but more noise. If it were that easy then the manufacturer would offer the same tractor with a different exhaust system rated at a few more ponies. I would think on a modern diesel tractor your best bet would be turning the fuel up over changing the exhaust.... Now if you took that ford "N" engine and changed the cam, carburetor, ported the heads, and raised the compression, then sure the stock exhaust system would be restrictive.

/ Performance exhaust systems for tractors #10  
Here's my thinking. Please correct me if I'm off base.

Tractors are not held to the same emissions standards as street vehicles. Part of the restriction on street exhaust systems is the catalytic converter and other emissions related equipment.

In other words, a tractor exhaust is already pretty high flow vs. a conventional automobile engine.